8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Who Dares Wins, 600ft version.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Dares Wins, 600ft version.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 10, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is a film i have had for many years. It has to be said that as a full feature it doesnt move too fast, the acting is some what wooden and the script in places is almost embarassing. However, as well as Derann releasing this title as a full feature they also released this very well edited and fast moving 600 footer.
In brief the film is clearly inspired by the Iranian embassy siege in 1980 when the SAS stormed the building to recue hostages being held, (we showed the scum thay couldnt do that in England yayyyy), Euan Lloyd the films producer got the idea of this film after watching television coverage of the event.

In This 600 footer Lewis Colins, A trooper with the British Special Air Service (SAS) infiltrates a radical political group who are planning a terrorist operation against American dignitaries. You have to laugh when the female leader of the group makes her demand by phone, "i want a nuclear missile fired at the Holylock site in Scotland", oh and this is in the name of peace [Big Grin] , yeah right. Dispite the scillyness of the plot it is actually an excellent cut down in every sense, the plot is kept in tact and you dont have to have seen the full feature to understand it. Theres also quite a good cast here including Edward Woodward, Richard Widmark,Patrick Allen, Robert Webber. The action is fast paced & well put together by Derann.
Sound is excellent and the picture is very good, there is no sign of fade on our print. Well worth getting this one if you like the boys own action. [Wink]

-

As i dont seem too good at taking screen shots, (any tips welcome) ive uploaded these and both are in the 600ft version.

[ December 31, 2013, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 01:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to respectfully disagree with "acting is some what wooden and the script in places is almost embarassing". I found it a gripping film in the cinema and later it was the first full length feature I bought new from Derann. Perhaps it would have done no harm if it had been a little shorter but it went down well with audiences I screened it for. It's certainly a bit far fetched in places but that isn't considered a problem in relation to Bond films! The feature is also a very nice print and has sensationally good sound. In Derann's later years we had to get used to relatively poor sound but a film like this shows how good their recordings in the Kodak prestripe era could be.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 04:35 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree there Adrian,it's worth having just for the lovely
Ingrid Pitt.One of the chaps I worked with in the building trade,
his brother had been in the SAS (retired now) and was the second man to enter the Iranian embassy during the siege. The film gave
a little insight into the training of these men and was a pretty
decent attempt that didn't present itself as "over the top" especially as the SAS train other men from all over the world.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 07:35 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought that some of the less known actors here seem to overact a bit, certainly not meaning to give off any idea of it being a rubbish film,the action is pretty good, but i do think some of the script is a tad laughable, (only in my opinion of course [Wink] ), definatly thought the feature was a little long and i think thats were this 600footer really stands out, it moves very quickly with most of the key sequences kept in.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not wanting to get too political Tom,but the female of the
terrorist groups demand isn't too far removed from fact,when we
in the western world have literally destroyed other peoples countries in the Far East under the guise of bringing them democracy.Back to the film, I used to have the 600', which does
move at a fair rate,but prefer the full feature that fleshes out the characters and for more of Ingrid.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair comment, i must take a look at the feature on telly sometime, its years since ive seen it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, I really wasn't impressed with this film, I too had it in the 600ft version, but it was nice to see good ole Richard Widmark and the "Equalizer" himself as well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC