8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Izzy and Moe Super 8 optical sound feature!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Izzy and Moe Super 8 optical sound feature!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 02, 2013 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved that ole bombastic Gleason, but I was always disappointed with his theatrical outings in the mid 70's through the end of his life where it looked like, as a general rule, he was phoning in his performances. It hadn't always been that way. He also did dramtic roles such as "Fats" the pool player in the Paul Newman classic, "The Hustler" as a good example. Though a comedy, his film "Papas Delicate Condition" was another classic.

His sheriff in "Smokey and the Bandit", while a big hit for him, pretty much ended his career as a serious actor. The sequels were dreadful, and pretty much anything else he did was sub par for the actor ...

except for one exception, a brilliant exception ...

IZZY and MOE

Izzy and Moe is about the true life exploits of these two during the prohibition. Moe (Carney) was a bar owner, shut down by the prohibition, and IZZY (Gleason) was his best customer, who is behind the financial 8 ball, (it is the depression, after all) with a whole passle of kids and family at home, not to mention an annoying mother in law.

Izzy comes up with the idea ... why don't they become prohibition agents?

They do so, (much to the chagrin of they're police chief boss, who thinks they are too old and just a big annoyance), and in doing so, use any number of disguises in order to bust the illegal hooch runners and club owners, and mobsters, such as posing as thirsty sailors on pass, a husband and wife, (with a funny Carney as the woman) ect.

They were quite successful, even with a policeman working as an informer for the Hooch running mobster, (but he is, of course, caught). The mother in law sarcastcally says to IZZY "If you are EVER a success, I will personally light your cigar in the window of Macy's department store!" Izzy takes her up on it and sure enough, the film ends with the family and whole gang in the Macy's department store window, with a cigar lighting ceremony.

"How Sweet It Is!"

The best thing about this film is the wonderful pairing of Jackie Gleason and Art Carney, who most people remember from the hilarious "The Honeymooners" TV show. After not working together for about 15 years, they are paired together for the last time and they work together brilliantly, as always.

This must have been a very special project for Jackie Gleason as he not only acts in the film, but also provided the soundtrack for the film as well. Not many people know these days, but Jackie Gleason had a whole series of records in 60's that were big band and such, so this Ragtime soundtrack was a natural for Gleason and he must have relished this last opportunity to work in such a manner.

Sadly, Gleason would make one last feature "Nothing in Common", a lacklustre film with Tom Hanks, and then leave us, but at least he left us with this great little comedy. This was originally to be released theatrically, and has that better than TV look, but originally premiered on TV. However, we happily have this on super 8 optical sound because this was released for the in flight movies for the airlines.

The print I have is a slight curiosity. Reel one has a slightly brownish quality to reel, (the first 18 or so minutes), but you get into the rest of the film and the color is perfect, spot on, so I think that the first reel of this film was a poor color master, as the rest of the film has brilliant color. This was a complete print, un-spliced, on a large spool, so it's not a case of one reel coming from one lab and another from, well, another.

The sharpness is pin sharp, quite lovely on the big screen and the optical track is that better 80's optical which is nice and loud.

For those that are fans of Gleason and Carney, I highly recommend this optical feature on super 8. This is, however, a fairly rare one on optical sound super 8. happy hunting and, as always ...

Long Live Super 8!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His original in the "Smokey And The Bandit" as the sheriff. In my view excellent, he really fitted in to the film. The "Son Bitch" In fact the whole cast were perfect.

The film would never win an Oscar(tm) but for enjoyment WOW. Luckily I have this in 2x400ft version. The follow up "Smokey And The Bandit II" or Rides Again was enjoyable but not as good. The 3rd the less said the better.

Was his TV show "The Honeymooners" the basis for "The Flintstones"?

Looking at his picture  -
His expression just looks funny.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2013 02:02 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that review Osi.

I agree that most of Gleason's later movies were average at best (I hated his role in "The Toy").

I actually thought Gleason's last movie, "Nothing in Common", was very good. It was certainly alot deeper than most of the junk that was coming out during the mid-80's. I happened to catch it second-run at the local "dollar theater" (remember those?). I only went to see it because it was convenient at the time & nothing else was out. I was pleasantly surprised and needed some tissue when it was over [Cool] .

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 02, 2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first reel of this very film for sale.

As Osi's this is on optical color, don't know what language.

If you are interested to see the beginning of this film or just want to have an optical reel as a test reel, you can have it for $9.99 + shipping from Canada.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, did you mean "optical sound instead of "optical color"? [Smile]

By the way folks, that first reel has some lovely old footage from newsreels to begin the film, in sepia tone!

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the same as I got from you? That was italian anyway :-/

Didn't understand a thing :-)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 02:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

First reel from what film? How much is shipping to USA 02809 postal code?

Thx
PatD

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 02:37 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the title says it all :-)
Izzy and Moe

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 04, 2013 08:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, yes, "optical sound".

Vidar, yes, that is the same reel. I have 3 reels.

Pat, this is the first reel of "Izzy and Moe". As Osi says. Shipping willbe $7.80, I guess. If you are interested, PM me

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 05, 2013 12:10 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Thanks for the review. I have fond memories of this film since I was on set to shoot some "Behind The Scenes" footage and also filmed an interview with Messrs. Gleason & Carney. They played off each other so well....what amazing chemistry. A short while later I luckily had the opportunity to film Jackie Gleason conducting a small orchestra during the scoring of the film. As you figured, he was in a good mood, clearly having a great time.

Doug

[ May 05, 2013, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Wow! Doug! I so totally envy you, such a young man, (well, you were just a tad bit younger [Smile] ), to meet living legends like that!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 06:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug thats awsome! You and Laksmi have been around some incredible company!

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC