8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » It's A Wonderful Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's A Wonderful Life
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit out of season, but I just bought a super 8 Niles print of It's A Wonderful Life. I've heard mixed reviews of this film put out by Niles, but I had to give it a try being one of my favorite films. For starters I was surprised that Niles had put it out with their more common older reddish orange box. I was expecting the later brighter more colorful box. I have always liked the earlier boxes, so that was a nice plus.

I was glad to find it, in its original format of eight reels in two boxes. I'm a bit of a purist, and like to when ever possible buy a film in its original format. Overall the film had a strong bright clear picture and nice sound. Its primarily only drawbacks I believe were from pre print material. There were some lines from time to time, that appeared to be original to the print source from which they were working with.

One of my favorite things about this film, is that the last portion of the film almost seems like an episode of The Twilight Zone. It could be a film by itself. If you were to start it when George was coming home that night on Christmas Eve, and if you were to hear Rod Serling's voice giving his usual background of what had just happened just before George walked in, I think that would have been a great episode.

I found the first reel, and the last two to be the sharpest, and others were slightly on the grainy side, but not as bad as other Niles releases I've seen. I'm very anxious for December to arrive, so I can show this on the big screen with my film series. I'm sure it will become a annual showing too, Like a few others that have become staples from year to year.

[ May 05, 2013, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Bradford A Moore ]

|  IP: Logged

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2013 11:46 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradford, I had it and surprisingly a nice, sharp print. Got it at a great price then sold it just before Christmas, 1012. The buyer enjoyed it just as much as I did.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2013 09:37 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again proves that not all Niles releases were horrible. My Svengali, Meeting and Midnight, Invisible Ghost prints are all very nice. Others...not so nice.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2013 05:52 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my copy of Meeting at Midnight. I wish more of these Charlie Chan movies were released on Super 8. As to It's Wonderful Life, I saw a little bit of the copy that John purchased in Wildwood last year. I couldn't believe at how sharp it was. I wish that I had purchased it for myself.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 14, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a print of "Reefer Madness" by Niles, and I have never seen a print that was either so washed out and so extremely dark as well. Literally no grey tones at all ...

extremely dupey ... but as you say, I used to have that "Wonderful Life" print, and it was VERY good for a Niles, one of they're best.

From what I hear, the Sherlock Holmes series of features were very good as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Holmes features used Original negatives and so the quality is indeed excellent. However, sometimes the lab work could be a bit better. I believe Niles did their own lab work but I am not sure. The problem in general is/was consistency.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

John Fields
Junior

- posted December 15, 2015 10:40 PM      Profile for John Fields   Email John Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing back up this years' old thread because I just screened a library copy of this print I bought back in the summer. I must say I was delighted with the sharpness and surprising lack of issues with the fact that it was a library copy. I had to fix a few broken sprockets and redo a few splices, but nothing major. I'm very happy with the print.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2015 04:59 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a stunning print of this on 16mm

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 17, 2015 04:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its nice the feature made it onto Super 8, a film which has a good levelling story line and really a one off. Would be good to see some off screen shots by someone perhaps. [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC