8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Hercules 1958

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hercules 1958
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hercules – 1958

I’ve always had a soft spot for the sword and sandal genre and when I came across the Steve Reeves
classic Italian epic, I had to have it.
It’s the familiar story loosely based upon the Hercules myths and the Quest for the Golden Fleece.

The digest itself maintains much of the fun of the full length feature and moves along at a nice clip.
It kicks off on Colchis with Jason slaying the dragon (yes with the famous Godzilla roar).
The plot then centers on the theft of the Fleece from our heroes by the evil king Pelias,
denying Jason’s claim and plotting his death.
Of course Herc comes to the rescue but is quickly captured and put in chains as a battle between our heroes
and Pelias’ forces ensue. Of course, our hero easily escapes, and, in the iconic climax, Hercules topples
the portico of the palace on Pelias forces and the evil king drinks poison in his defeat.

The print:

I wonder how it looked new as its obvious it did not originate from great source material.
The first part suffers from many white lines and coming and going and not from the print itself.
The focus is slightly soft but still satisfying. Some blues still remain in the sky but has the
print progresses color has faded to an orangey pink. Strangely though, the Derann logo is still bright and colourful.
German Peplum collectors have been pretty lucky when it comes to super 8 releases.
It would be interesting to see a list of what sword and sandal films were released in the 8mm format.
I am not aware of any other English releases.
All in all this edit tells a coherent and enjoyable story on a full 400 foot reel.

1X400’ on Fuji Stock
DERANN release
Super 8 English sound

-

-

-

-

-

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 13, 2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,fret you not,that is more or less how the 400' digest
looked when first released.The white lines are marks on the
negative no doubt,but the colour on your screen snaps are about
right.I was'nt too impressed at the time,but it sufficed,and is a
great souvenir of Steve Reeves at his best.One I have been trying to locate on dvd,is the "Theseus & the Minotaur" AKA "Warlords
of Crete" with Bob Matthias.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2013 12:17 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Hugh, that would explain the good looking Derann logo.

Are you aware of this U-Tube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zreICQSnU
Don't from where it is sourced but it looks like the film you are looking for.

Cheers
Terry

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 13, 2013 06:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,thanks for the link, that is the first time I have seen this
film since I was a youngster with my sister many years ago,thanks
for that, my chidhood revisited.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2013 12:09 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Terry how do I get one I love this film??? Do you want to sell yours? 1X400’ on Fuji Stock
DERANN release
Super 8 English sound. Any body know where I can get this film???

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 14, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee, I thought I'd see Laksmi liking this topic.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 16, 2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOR-9 used to run (at 6pm) THE SONS OF HERCULES (replete with music and clips) - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 17, 2013 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, was that guy RIPPED!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the review from MOVIE MAKER NOVEMBER 1977 by Bill Davison

HERCULES

18 minutes Super 8 colour/sound £16.
Distributed by Derann Films, 171 Stourbridge Road, Dudley, West Mids.

Following the tremendous success of Quo Vadis and other costume epics in the fifties, the Italian cinema — always ready to cash in on a popular trend — came up with Hercules in 1957. It was a relatively low-budget movie for which the Italians imported the then Mr Universe — Steve Reeves — to star in the title role. Even the Italians were surprised at its worldwide success, and sequel after sequel was quickly made as Samson, Goliath and other muscle-bound heroes stormed the screen.

This two-reeler opens as the Argonauts sail in search of the Golden Fleece. Jason finds it, but first he must slay a huge monster which guards it. The fleece safely locked away, they return to their homeland where Jason can now claim the throne back from the imposter king. But the fleece is stolen and the mighty Hercules charges off in search of it.

He finds the thieves, but in doing so falls into a trap — literally — and wakes to find himself tethered to the ends of enormous chains. Sylva Koscina helps him escape — with the chains still manacled to his wrists. He then takes on the might of the villainous king's army and in some smashing all-action stuff he skittles them all Popeye' fashion, without a tin of spinach in sight! In a grand finale he impersonates Victor Mature as he stands, muscles bulging, between the temple pillars which he uproots, bringing the building crashing down on horses and soldiers.

An extremely well-edited two-reeler which is a delightful souvenir of the cinema's 'beefcake' era. The colour, definition and sound are excellent but because of some wear on the master, noticeable mainly in the opening sequence, Derann are offering this two-reeler at the bargain price of £16— recommended!

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2013 04:29 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'LL TAKE IT!!! Anybody out their in super 8 land got it???? I LOVE this movie ! I will give anything to own this.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Laksmi

I had no idea this existed on Super 8 until I happened upon it!
I can see your a huge fan of this film, but hey, it is the mighty Herc. Maybe I need to put together a want list.

Cheers
Terry

Steve Reeves trailers on Ebay too!

[ June 19, 2013, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Terry Lagler ]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2013 04:25 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Terry yeah BY THE GODS!! Put me down on your wish list. If you ever want to sell your copy let me know? Thanks for the Reeve eBay link I will get on it.  -

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I am a Fan of the Man! Put me on your list to buy! I want Herc, I want Herc!  -

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 20, 2013 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw the Herc! I want that GORGEOUS lady next the the Herc.

SLAP!!!!

(slap provided by the equally gorgeous wife!)
[Smile]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 21, 2013 09:47 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think she has all the right bulges in the right places, and yes Osi your good lady has every right to take pains,but not as many as Laksmi, when he finds out I had another copy of his film, just to check out the print, and used it in a trade in. I'll make enquiries
this side of the pond for him.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2013 10:15 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What HUgh [Mad] SLAP!!! "I have BEEN TRICKED BY THE GODS"!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 21, 2013 10:31 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, have no fear,the Gods are with us, indeed Hera has just
gave me countenance,"Get this Bloody Film for Laksmi", of
which I will make enquiries on.
Looking back over the comments, I as a youngster was fascinated
by Hercules' physical prowess, a few years later I would have been sitting with ( Look away now Ladies) a square end pressed against the seat in front, these girls were fantastic in these films.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANK BE THE GODS! [Smile] The blessings of the Gods will look upon you with mercy and good fortune Hugh. I'll take Super 8mm, 16mm, feature or digest.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC