8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Never Say Never Again 1983

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never Say Never Again 1983
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN 1983
Starring Sean Connery, Kim ‘corr’ Basinger, Klaus Brandauer and Barbara Carerra
 -
Well where to start… This particular film has quite a history attached to it as Sean Connery returned for the last time to play James Bond 007 mainly through a legal loophole. I can remember going to see this at my local cinema and was blown away by it and also Kim Basinger, particularly as I was only in my 20’s. Another point of interest was that when I left the cinema I then went to see Octopussy with Roger Moore as 007 which was also very enjoyable and surprising to see two 007 products ran at pretty much the same time although Sean was much more interesting in his Bond return role I found. The new Roger Moore and Sean Connery films were also reported and got to be known as 'battle of the Bonds' for obvious reasons. Max Von Sydow steps into the role as head of the dreaded SPECTRE and what a beastly chap he turns out to be in this remake of Thunderball. The story runs that Bond is out of shape so M proposes he goes to a spa to get himself back together effectively. 007 soon unearths a plot finding the two nuclear weapons are going to be snatched so he follows this up with some memorable action sequences, love scenes including and a sprinkling of comedy from our Rowan Atkinson. In the past a couple of the special effects have been criticised as being a bit fake looking, but I have to say that when watching the film on the big scope screen it looks pretty amazing and good enough for its day. The British all powerful censors had a field day with this film making a number cuts including the horse jump into the sea sequence which was deemed far to shocking for the UK audiences.

In 1983 Never Say Never Again could be seen in 70mm with 6 track sound and also 35mm film. The film cost something like $36,000,000 to make and a much bigger budget than Octopussy which is interesting. In 1987 Derann Films printed news that Bond would be back, this time on Super 8 Scope and would only be for sale in the U.K. Derann eventually released a 2 X 600ft edited version of the film which ran very well keeping the key scenes and the story intact which was some feat for a film over two hours long in the first place. The print quality was excellent with vibrant colour and a bench mark print. I’m guessing they toyed with a full feature release as well but perhaps licensing or sheer cost prohibited it who knows.

The music was composed by Michel Legrand and it flows through the film nicely once again for a 1980’s movie. Another little point of interest is that the CD sound track contains additional music cut from the film and it makes for a good play particularly in your home cinema as people arrive. Strangely the CD often sells for quite a price now being well out of print but it is worth keeping an eye open for.

This 2X600ft makes for a very enjoyable hour in sprawling scope particularly the motorcycle sequence and the gals spreading out across the screen on sunny sandy beaches no less.

So, Sean Connery came back for the last time as 007 James Bond although we should Never Say never Again should we.

Print A+ Sound A+
Price in 1987 was £125.99
Posting to you was £1.75
 -
 -
Rare lobby card
 -
Infamous horse jump!
 -

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 08:10 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Lee. I disagree about the selection of Michel Legrand for the soundtrack. I thought it was aweful. But the film was good none the less. Kevin McLory and Jack Whittingham had quite a battle to get it made. And of course the title actually came from Sean's wife because he had said he would never play James Bond again. I believe he was originally to be creative consultant but change his mind when production started. It was a real bonus for us hard core Bond fans to have two 007 films out at the same time. I did prefer Connery's film over Moore's.

PatD [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat and glad you liked my enthusiastic review. The soundtrack CD does have quite a following amongst collectors which perhaps contributes to its 30 bucks asking price in the US. Soundtrack collectors seem to regard it as a refreshing change from the usual Bond beat and the composer was of course best known for the Thomas Crown Affair work which probably secured him the job. I’m amongst the fans of the sound track and the CD is of the highest quality and recommended listening to accompany this super 8 release. Also look out for the collectable lobby cards which do look excellent in the foyer.
Five tracks on the CD were cut from the final edit of the film so worth getting for that alone.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 07:42 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee

I do have the ST CD . Being a 007 collector it was a must have. I missed out on a S8 copy of the film on one of the dealers pages last year. Just not as quick as 007!

As far as Connery...he stepped back into the role like he never left it.

PatD [Eek!]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 10:46 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do I get one? But my favorite is THUNDERBALL! Hey Pat do have one some where?  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 03:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does come up for sale Pat certainly over here where the prints were supposed to be limited to. There have been a couple of prints sold this year but they do move quite quickly particularly if complete with original artwork boxes.

Laksmi. I always enjoy your pictures and enthusiasm for film.
Well done!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 06:09 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Lee. This is one of my favourite cutdowns not least because its great to have James Bond on super 8 scope, but the Derann print is also excellent quality and very sharp. My only gripe is that it could have been edited a little better (but then editing is a personnel thing as we all have our own favourite scenes). I would have preferred a shorter clip of the computer game sequence and included the full opening sequence after the main titles. It would also have been good to include some of the fight sequence early on in the film as I think this is missing in the Derann cutdown. But like you say its difficult cutting out half the film, over an hour, to make the 2x600 and overall Derann have done a very good job and I love having Bond on super 8. As stated above, the film flows very well and most of the key scenes are in this cutdown.

One of my favourite lines in the film is when Bond saw his hotel room blown up he states that he made the right decision, about what she says, Bond then calmy says "Your place or mine"

My copy is Stereo. Not sure if Derann sold this in both Mono and Stereo like Gremlins?

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondered where you had got to young Mr Sinden.
I think Derann later offered it in Stereo as well but only mono early on if memory serves me right. It’s really nice to know this title also has a 70mm print link and I also soon found myself collecting NSNA lobby cards and the like. Quite an addictive film with an interesting production history and the last time Mr Connery played 007.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just purchased the soundtrack CD off Amazon for that full NSNA experience [Smile]

Graham S

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ July 24, 2013, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I really enjoyed Geotge Lazenby in the role, his
OHMSS, had more than it's share of beauties, a great villain and
superb score.As much fun as you could have while keeping your
clothes on.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed out on a copy of this on one of the vendors lists a few months ago for 75.00. You snooze, you loose! [Frown]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 06:41 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry Pat, they always resurface again. I'll keep a weather
eye open for you in case it does.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh! Nice to know you got my back [Wink]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 12:19 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, OHMSS is my favorite Bond story. I have a whole bunch of memorabilia from the show. Abc first showing on tv they edited it heavy into two nights. The opening sequence shows sky chase sequence a narrator impersonating Bond explains things.I have it on dvd OK quality. there must be a print floating around of that tv cut.

In my opinion it's the best James Bond story. I'm in the crowd which believes Thunderball is the best movie. Anyways it would have been interesting if Connery or Moore played Bond in the film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC