8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Star Wars 1977 Original version Cineavision Scope feature (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars 1977 Original version Cineavision Scope feature
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 10:35 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the original Star Wars and it was not yet titled: Episode IV. It was during the second week of the initial run in the summer of '77. It must have been 70mm because the screen was extremely tall and the fast action of Tie fighters swooping into space in the midst of stars against a black background was breathtaking.

I returned later in the summer and it had been retitled to Episode IV and in flat 35mm, it was boring.

Darth Vaders lens in his helmet was not yet completely black.

Incidentally, Raiders of the Lost Arc was boring the second time around too.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 11:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anytihing more to say on this film, except that Peter Cushing wore carpet slippers in his role of Moff Tarkin,as the
boots were far too small, as he said "they were agony ivy".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a neat little bit of info Hugh! [Smile]

Rob, LUV to open cans O worms! [Razz]

It still doesn't explain why the "Empire" laserdisc had a good deal more info on both sides. I wonder if perhaps the 'Empire" laserdisc was taken from a 70MM print? Just curious.

Hugh, I could never speak upon STAR WARS too much, (in my personal opinion!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2013 07:27 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of Super8 gates cut off some picture as well.
I widened my gate, but it still is slimmer than the picture on the Derann Star Wars.
This is a sequence from my Derann print, how much more image does your new acquisition have Osi?
http://we.tl/92ZFj2CSl4

No the Empire LD was taken from a 35mm, not from the 70mm. I think I have every LD released of the original trilogy, if you ever need any soundtracks, let me know!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 09, 2013 07:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, whenever "Star Wars " is mentioned now, I AUTOMATICALLY
think OSI. You are now in my psyche, you little mindworm you.
PS.Are you coming over for the convention in Ealing?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF I CAN EVER GET MY BLOODY MUSIC LAUNCHED!!!!!!

(ehem, excuse me ... it's just a sore note at the moment in my life! Can write you privately if you'd want to hear "the rant")

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC