8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Revenge of the Jedi (trailer)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revenge of the Jedi (trailer)
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the famous and rare teaser trailer for Return of the Jedi (named "Revenge of the jedi" at the time). This trailer came out with the re-release of Empire Strikes Back (in '82 I think?). Likely a rush to screen effort to show off the highly anticipated sequel to Empire.

Besides the obvious title change, there are some signs that they were still in post-production for the film. There are a couple shots from scenes that were deleted. There's an alternate angle for the rebels storming the bunker on Endor, shown in full in BluRay special features. There is also a shot of Darth exiting an elevator from a deleted scene also featured in the BluRay set. And lastly a shot of the Luke and all fleeing the sand storm on Tatooine. The most obvious thing is an unfinished effect. It's a shot of Obi-Wan before they made him semi-opaque.

The print has stunning colors and very sharp. Though there are a few horizontal scratches in a couple shots. These look to be from the source print rather than my personal copy. The scratches are white so I imagine they are scratches that occurred on a negative. And yes, it's the scope version!

The sound is booming and very clear. I don't know if it's stereo. Sorry:-(

Though it's rare, it was only around $15-$18 from The Reel Image in the used lists. Beware, I saw someone listing the trailer on eBay for $200 trying to tout the rare factor. Maybe I'm wrong and there's an even better version of the print that costs more. I dunno but the one I have is low fade and excellent, if you see this print for more than $50 because it's "rare" don't get fooled!

That being said, if you're a fan of the series, this is definitely a great addition! Just spend wisely!

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet rare must be the most overly used word on ebay. It would be interesting to do a search how many times this word comes up.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve seen this one come up more than the ordinary one myself.

It will obviously have been a big seller anyway.

Best Mark.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this trailer more. It has the pace of a modern trailer.

And yes the thing about "rare" is that it's a bit subjective. Plus it can refer to a lot of things.

In the case of this print. I'd say it wasn't shown in theaters for a long run so it was "rarely" seen in theaters.

Where as other keywords for collectors like "sealed" are pretty straightforward.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC