8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Invisible Woman 200'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Invisible Woman 200'
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since learning of the existence of this Castle Films abridgment a few years ago, I couldn't help but be slightly curious to see it. My understanding is that it had already been discontinued when I started collecting in the mid-70s. I eventually amassed (or at least viewed) all of the Universal 200' horror/monster cutdowns, but remained unaware of this one until relatively recently. I recall reading that it was more of an extract than a digest, and that is the case. This "review" is of the 8mm silent version. I am not aware of whether it was ever issued in Super 8 or sound, but my guess would be "probably not" to both, although if someone would like to correct me, I'd appreciate it. My copy came packaged in a generic "Old Time Comedies" box.

The film begins with Virginia Bruce rushing off to her job as a department store clothing model. She is docked an hour's pay for being two minutes late by her nasty boss. His abuse continues and she barely escapes with her job.

Later she answers a newspaper ad. Scientist John Barrymore and his assistant Margaret Hamilton give the young woman a hypodermic shot and put her in a machine. She becomes invisible, as depicted in the usual fashion for the time with objects on wires hovering about. She takes off and immediately heads back to her workplace to cause havoc and give her boss some comeuppance.

It's been ages since I saw the full feature, but this digest probably contains one (or two, at most) of the better scenes. That said, it's a slight affair, and I can see why it did not persevere into the Universal 8 era.

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 07:21 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Marshall-

Thanks for the review!

I've always been curious about this title too. I think it may have been available in a sound edition as well. I thought I remembered seeing it listed in an old Castle catalog as being sound.

Its funny, this movie never even aired on TV in all these years (to my recolection), and I wouldn't even know of its existence if it wasn't for this digest.

James.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to see this film; I have only seen a few films of John Barrymore, but he was a fine actor.
The Castle Films were very good; I had a 200ft silent of The Incredible Shrinking Man, and they managed to tell virtually the whole story in the space of 10 minutes.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 06:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castle digest was available in 16mm sound. I saw a print and it was amusing. You would think it was another horror title but it plays as a comedy. I don't know if it was issued in 8mm sound or not.

Bill [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2013 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find the 16mm sound version on YouTube. It's cute, but not something I would ever pay big money for and, to your point, it's understandable why it went into moratorium.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least this thread is increasing the woman's visibility!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC