8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Dr. No Trailer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. No Trailer
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 07:35 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see this listed, so I thought I'd just do a quick review on the Dr. No trailer currently available from The Reel Image.

This is an extra long trailer. I wish there were more trailers like this out there. It's probably close to 70 or 80ft. I usually make smaller reels that I play before the main feature and this trailer really adds value to that preview reel.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of this Bond film. I might be in the minority there. I don't like the ending. I prefer From Russia with Love a lot more. Though with Dr. No I enjoy moments. Actually I enjoy the beginning and middle of the film, but the ending just doesn't work for me. It's too outlandish and costumes at the end seem silly and garish. The parts I enjoy about the film are the ones featured most prominently in the trailer. In that way, I think the trailer holds up. Also, on a personal note, I'm not a huge fan of the misogyny in Bond films. I'm fine with positive and balanced sex imagery but not into the kind of "A** slapping" behavior that the Connery films seem to feature in his Bond films. Fortunately for me, that stuff doesn't show itself in the trailer.

Highly recommended for Bond film fans.

SOUND: It's mono, no surprises there. The sound is fairly clear. It seems to fade out at one point but that may just be the recording.

Picture: It's flat but not masked. The picture still takes advantage of the whole frame. The color is a bit muted. I'm not sure if this came from a print that was a bit faded or just that the trailer was a bit rough around the edges to begin with. I'd say it' the latter because the black levels seem pretty solid as in not red. It's very sharp and perhaps only a touch too grainy.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 03, 2013 01:29 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Ernie. I called Steve and ordered the trailer.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 12:20 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I just loaded it on a 400' reel and it's easily at least 80 ft.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2013 04:17 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Pasq,How did he charge for you for the trailer?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 05, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have it yet so I don't know Brian.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2013 07:08 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, Steve has always sent a separate invoice once the film is on its way.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2013 03:31 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
He sends it to you with an invoice? before I order I like to know how many clams.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 09, 2013 06:01 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No clams, oysters.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2013 09:04 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Smoked I hope [Smile]

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2013 10:15 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if the price has changed but it was $32 when I ordered it I think. The extra cost is due to the length.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Ernie. It's well worth it. Only thing is Steve is waiting for more to come in. He's doesn't have it at the moment. The fun is in the chase anyway. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC