8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Around The Beatles 600' Digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Around The Beatles 600' Digest
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a made for TV program The Beatles did in 1964, and it showcases the pure fun that was "Beatlemania". Not sure who released this version, the only thing I can see on the leader is Matinee Memories. It has a bright picture and good sound quality. It runs 24 minutes, and starts with Ringo shooting off a cannon, and then the crowd of fans marching into the concert area singing "We Love You Beatles". The Beatles perform on stage surrounded by adoring fans. John sings lead on "Twist N' Shout", followed by George singing "Roll Over Beethoven", Ringo doing "I Wanna Be Your Man", and Paul belting out "Long Tall Sally". Next is Millie Small doing her hit "My Boy Lollipop", Sounds Incorporated doing an instrumental number, and Cilla Black singing "Heatwave". The Beatles do a medley of their hits which include: "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "From Me To You", "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and "Can't Buy Me Love". The reel ends with them performng "Shout"...  -  -  -

[ January 20, 2014, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a neat reel! Love the Beatles! Sadly, most of the live concerts I have found on super 8 tend to be not they're most brilliant live performances.

Since this is largely staged, and made for TV, how are they're performances and how is the sound quality?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this reel also. It's very well done.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound quality on this reel is nice and clear Osi, but according to what I've read on The Beatles Bible website, they mimed/lip synced their performances for this show....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, that wouldn't be too bad, considering that they no doubt used they're studio versions of the songs and so, the audio quality would be better then a live performance anyhow.

That would be a nice find.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 27, 2015 01:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently added this to my collection and it is mounted on a full 800ft spool. Oddly enough mine doesn't have the start where the beatles are messing around.,mine starts with pj probys first British tv appearance with long John baldry with The beatles as his backing band on the studio balcony, Cilla black, millie singing my boy lollipop, pj proby with the vernons girls featuring Jean Owen, sounds incorporated and of course the beatles,it's a he'll of a reel and simply non stop.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 27, 2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious to discover how long the complete show was, which seems difficult to establish, but this Wiki page has details of what songs were performed by everyone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_Beatles and this page has some interesting information regarding what happened on the day it was recorded: http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/04/28/around-the-beatles/

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 28, 2015 09:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep & all the songs by all the performers are on my 800 footer,
In fact, those who bought the 200ft Beatles in concert may be interested to know, (as i have that one as well), that footage in that 200 footer is the last section of the Beatles performance from this very show, the medley and cant buy me love, in the TV show there is one more song which plays out the end of the show.
Interestingly the quality of the Derann excerpt is of a better quality although the TV show is pretty good considering where the source it must have come from. [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that 200ft extract and have always wondered what it was from. Now I wish I had the 600ft for what else is on it.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 29, 2015 03:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I,d like to know where my 800 footer originated.I would assume it was 2 x 400 when sold.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an original network Rediffusion TV print on 16mm which is complete.

I also have the supposed to be full length print on Super 8 on one very full 800ft reel.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 30, 2015 03:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,that's correct,I know the 800 footer is not complete,I have seen the complete show however the 800 foot reel on super 8 is still quite hard to find these days but for me it's not a keeper, I,ll be moving it on later in 2016

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very interesting comments in an earlier thread...
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001853

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC