8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Dead of Night 1945

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dead of Night 1945
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 19, 2014 05:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DEAD OF NIGHT 1945
Derann Film release
4 X 400ft Super 8 Sound

For me this is the classic Ealing movie and film which you can always spot something new in each time you watch it and a very popular titles for Derann Films. The story of set around a man who has a dream some of which he can remember as he attends a county house along with other guests who tell individual stories. The original running time of the feature was over 100 minutes but Derann did a 4 X 400 release at round 70 which is a sweeter running time and well edited. For Ealing it was a stella British cast list as well with the likes of Googie Withers, Mervyn Johns and Michael Redgrave. The most terrifying story will be the final ventriloquist sequence which most of us remember seeing on TV fairly regularly in the 70’s and keeping us awake at night. The film also benefited from some top directors and the likes of Alberto Cavalcanti amongst others who did the vent sequence brilliantly.

The original film got its UK release in September 1945 and in the USA in 1946 with American audiences seeing an abridged version of the original work. These days you can get the film on DVD but for me the boggy sound quality of said DVD issue was a disappointment unlike the excellent sound on the super 8 release from Derann which is crystal clear to say the least. I was told way back then that the negative was made from a 35mm print but how true this is I can’t say but certainly the sound is pretty good. The 8mm image can be a little soft at times in all fairness although a good lens on your projector will help this along to see the best of this print from beloved Derann.

Dead of Night is a classic feast for Ealing Studio fans and this film is very repeatable and cleverly abridged for Super 8mm sound. It’s printed on black and white stock with perfect quality sound stripe and a track to match so all in all a nice collectable classic from 8mm issues years past.

Sound quality A+
Print A-

It will fill an Elmo 1200ft spool for a continuous show. [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming soon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Night-Ealing-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B00GDEZMFU/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1390138177&sr=1-3&keywords=dead+of+night

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 19, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UM.. Hope its better than the DVD and whats Bloo Wray anyway?

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Paul Dann
Junior

- posted January 19, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Dann   Email Paul Dann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a conflicting review from the time of the film's release on Super 8:

"This classic of the British cinema should never have been put out in such a state as this. Two of the stories have been axed (the bus "crash" and the famous "golfing" one). As if this were not bad enough, the best known episode - the ventriloquist - has had a large slice cut out. Not only does this leave loose ends in the story but it also makes nonsense of the credits. Surely this was an ideal film for a number of 300-400ft individual issues? Print quality on the copy reviewed varied from quite good in some places to abominable in others. Often faces were bleached out and there was much side-to-side float. The sound went in and out of sync like mad! Impossible to rate since the Editor will not allow anything lower than 'C'."
Eddie Sammons Super 8 Collector No. 18 1978

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 19, 2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee must have got himself a good print, because the one I owned was pretty awful. Very low contrast, highlights washed out, and poor sound. And yes it was a Derann print. Plus it was hacked to bits. I really like this film, but found the S8 print version very disapointing.
In this case, at least for me, the DVD is a far better viewing experience.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 03:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I say, 'for me this is the classic Ealing movie'..
For its day and we are going back a bit here it still stands up on 8mm and I thought being abridged down to around 70 minutes from the original 100 minutes it was pretty well edited. When you are faced with having to cut out 30 minutes or so it will not be easy to choose whats to go. Yes my print is OK A- quality with quite good contrast I would say.

It is an oldy print now but as I say again a much loved film for me.. I think its super 8 release was announced late 1977 but not 100% Perhaps someone can locate the Derann advert in a magazine?

-

The final title [Cool]

1200ft box with a very full reel
 -

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2014 04:30 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a stunning print of dead of night on 16mm

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2014 08:24 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I owned a Derann Super 8 4x100ft print of Dead of Night before I saw it on TV in about 1979. Both my Derann print and the later DVD both suffer from muddy definition. According to Leslie Halliwell the original negative was accidentally destroyed in 1949 leaving only a dupe. If you haven't seen the original the Derann version is OK but I grew to love the missing bits such as the "Room for One Inside, Sir" hearse driver episode and the full linking story.

--------------------
Paul.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly agree with Lee that it is a wonderful film, probably the best anthology horror film ever done, and a great souvenir of Ealing Studios. Much of the film is downright creepy, particularly the story about the mirror which sends chills down my back! And the way the story loops in a full circle at the end leaves the viewer almost in shock.
But I found my super 8 print too poor to show to an audience, and so I reluctantly sold it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC