8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Beatles Tokyo Concert

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Beatles Tokyo Concert
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2014 08:32 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beatles Tokyo Concert - Encore Entertainment 2X400' Super 8 sound color. This show was recorded for Japanese TV during The Beatles 1966 world tour stop in Tokyo, Japan.... Reel #1: After being introduced by the Japanese M.C., The Beatles appear from behind the colorful stage and perform : "Rock n' Roll Music" and "She's a Woman". Paul then greets the enthusiastic audience, and they continue the show while taking turns introducing each song. Next is "If I Needed Someone", followed by "Day Tripper", and "Baby's in Black". Reel #2 begins with "I Feel Fine", followed by "Yesterday", "I Wanna be Your Man", "Nowhere Man", and their latest single in Japan at the time "Paperback Writer". Finally, Paul looks at his watch, bids sayonara (goodnight) to the audience, and they perform "I'm Down". They bow, and quickly exit the stage as the M.C. appears and bids goodnight to the audience.... My print has faded over the years, but the image is sharp, and the mono sound is loud and clear. The Beatles played and sang well for this show, and the Japanese TV crew did a good job with the camera work and editing....  -  -  -  -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use a nice cyan filter on that and it will probably look pretty darned good. It still has plenty of color. I think that all the prints of this title look about the same as your print, or worse.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, If this is what you call still having plenty of colour, I've been woefully underselling my films for years. I suppose it still has plenty of red. Mind you, I wouldn't throw it out if it came my way.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this one. The colours on mine are better, but the sound quality was awful, so I re-recorded in from and LP of the concert I picked up in a record fair many years ago.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, Is the album you used to re-record from this same performance? I have the "Five nights in a Judo Arena" bootleg, but it's the dark suit show, and doesn't match this film....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you look at that close-up of Paul, you see plenty of color and even on his bass, the colors are not too off, therefore, a cyan filer would make this print look very nice!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,
The bootleg album I have is called LIVE IN JAPAN. Its a double album with both the filmed shows on - 30th June and 1st July.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Phil, never saw that LP before. I just bought the CD on ebay and will hopefully re-record mine. The red fade is most noticeable in the darker shots. The color's not totally gone...yet [Frown]  -  -

[ January 25, 2014, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC