8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Knife for the Ladies 3X400' IFS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Knife for the Ladies 3X400' IFS
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IVER FILM SERVICES Knife For The Ladies (1974) 3X400' super 8 sound color feature. The first time I screened it I didn't know what to expect, as there's not much info available about this production. It exists on DVD under the cool title "Jack the Ripper Goes West."

This is a film that moves along quickly. Just one plot element jumping to another, all leading up to a somewhat predicable end. The whole film with main and ending credits runs fifty-three minutes long. I think it may have been a TV pilot....

There's a serial killer on the loose in a small western town. Jack Elam stars as the likable town sheriff, going head to head with Jeff Cooper as the "big city" detective brought in to try to solve the murders. The cast also includes notable actors Ruth Roman and Gene Evans. It's a western with elements of suspense and horror thrown in. I like it!

My print has faded color, but a sharp picture and good sound....  -  -  -  -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 03:44 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Iver release was for export only as I believe Powell Films (or could be P.M. Films) had the U.K. rights and released it as a 4x400' feature.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 10:21 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's surprising Barry, the full feature length of 53 minutes is the same as the DVD version I have, it is acetate stock and fits easily on 3 400' reels [Confused] Have you (or anyone else) ever seen this 4X400' release? Thanks....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Dann
Junior

- posted February 10, 2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Paul Dann   Email Paul Dann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was handled theatrically by Bryanston in th US who also distributed Texas Chainsaw which of course was released on Super 8 by Iver
The 52m version was released in the UK as a 6 reeler by PM in 1978.
Iver released this version on video in 1980 and Guild Home Video reissued the same version the following year.
Jack the Ripper Goes West is also the cut version
The full length 82m cut was available on the Swedish label Walthers Video under the title Silent Sentence

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Paul! So there is a full length version on video only. That would fill in all the missing pieces throughout the story [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 04:37 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most probably PM put it onto 4x400's thinking they might sell more copies (I suppose about 13 minutes a reel, like the Fletcher 400's). I can't say I've ever come across a copy myself, but I suppose they are out there in the 8mm ether!

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a feature print of this I bought on Ebay. It's on three 400' reels and was put out by P.M. Films. The color is striking - couldn't be more vibrant. It's not red at all like the screen shots above (sorry Joe!). So it appears the PM versions are holding up much better than the Iver release if that info helps anyone searching for this title. Now I just have to find the Swedish VHS release that has the 1/2 hour missing from the hour long release that seems to be all that exists these days.

[ July 29, 2014, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 29, 2014 06:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - you've struck lucky because a lot of PM releases have serious fade.

I briefly owned the PM 3 x 400' years ago but I only watched it once and sold it, so it can't have made a great impression on me! I suppose the Iver and PM releases have exactly the same content but can anyone confirm this?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian - Don't have many PM titles in my collection. I think my Devils Men is theirs and that too stil looks great. Guess I was lucky twice! Did they have many horror titles?

There's nothing worse than a truly bad film that has red color to boot. Knife for the Ladies proves this point. It would be unwatchable if not for the stunning Suoer 8 image.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - no, horror certainly wasn't typical of PM. Other than 'The Devil's Men', the other title (albeit not fantasy) most likely to interest horror fans is the 600' of 'Assault on Precinct 13'. But I've always enjoyed seeing Terence Fisher credited as Editor on the excellent 600' of 'The Wicked lady'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2014 02:08 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From old PM Films advert.

Knife for the Ladies
starring Ruth Roman and Jack Elam.
An unusual horror Western where several women in a small Western Town have their throats cut. The drama increases to a high pitch ending in an unusual and exciting climax.
6 reels Colour Sound: £75.00

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC