8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Fiend Without a Face (1962)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fiend Without a Face (1962)
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2014 01:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1962)
4 x 400ft Super 8 Sound B/W
released by Cinema Eight

I have a number of silent releases from Cinema Eight but this is my only sound feature from them but the quality is outstanding. For those unfamiliar Cinema Eight was both a distributor of exclusive titles and those of other companies. Usually their original material will feature the name "Cinema Concepts" on the head leaders of each reel. Sadly my print came from a collection that was well used and has numerous lines running down the right side.

The story is your typical mad scientist takes his experiments too far then has remorse at the horror he has unleashed. There are some fun stop motion effects when the fiends finally becoming visible. Some are quite gory/bloody for a black and white film...

The print is very sharp with good contrast and decent sound. I did notice some timing errors in the second reel where the lighting goes from bright to dark for about 2-3 minutes. It was enough to make me get up and check my projector to make sure nothing was wrong. Other than that the print is top notch and I recommend if it you appreciate the good old style low budget horror.

I don't drink anymore but if you want a fun drinking game during the film, take a drink every time Major Cummings drives through the forest road.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Dino. I have this film too, but the Mountain Films release, I think it is edited a little although it was only about 75 minutes originally.

My print is also very good. one of the better Mountain releases.

The woods where the Major drives could have been the same ones that Hammer used for their films. It was filmed in England.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 17, 2014 07:38 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Dino. I also have this film in 600' digest. I think the "fiends" are great. Plus the thumping sound effects are like the Jaws shark theme. It adds a lot to the suspense. You just can't beat them old syfy films!

PatD

[ March 19, 2014, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome to see a review of this film by you Dino! Good work!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Dino, this has always been one of those guilty pleasures of mine. Such a great climax with those flying stop-motion brains! I would love to find the digest of this film - looks like Pat has a 600' version which I had no idea existed. I could have sworn there was a 400' silent version.

BTW, makes a great double feature with "The Crawling Eye" (another film that would have made a fun digest.

Cheers
Terry

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2014 02:40 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Derann released 'The Crawling Eye' under the UK title 'The Trollenberg Terror' it was a 400ft.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Dino 😊😊 one of my favourites too,Mountain Films released a 400ft silent version here too.

I must pick up a Super 8 copy one day.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2014 02:37 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, now I must find the 600' Fiend and Trollenberg Terror!
Cheers
Terry

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Dino, your quite correct, that is a very sharp super 8, high quality!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 19, 2014 02:28 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

This 600' version I have was edited together by me. I actually found some footage on ebay that was a scene not included on my 1x400' reel.

PatD

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds very cool Pat. Does the 400' version contain all the flying brain footage?

Cheers
Terry

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 20, 2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! The scenes from the trees, off one of the actors etc. The extra footage I got was from the feature. It fit in perfectly. A lucky find.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC