8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Rover,(aka The Adventurer) 3 x 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rover,(aka The Adventurer) 3 x 400ft
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 06, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rover, aka, The Adventurer, (1967) 3x400ft colour sound from ie international.
This is a film I like but not sure why really, the print has good image and colour, but like many ie international films it suffers on the sound quality a bit, although its what many would call good average sound I consider it to lack bass and in some places sounds a bit over recorded but none the less I do like this rare movie.
A very good cast led by the brilliant Antony Quinn with Rita Hayworth, Rosanna Schiaffino, Richard Johnson and a great soundtrack by the one and only Ennio Morriconnie, although even the music it quite repetitive throughout.
The film is directed by Terrence Young who also directed, among other movies, Dr No, From Russia with Love, the Klansman, & Thunderball, so this in the mainstream turned out to be a big disappointment from a Director who managed three major James Bond movies and made an overall loss of just over 1.5 million.
The story outline, (& not a great story),
A former counter revolutionary pirate befriends & falls in love with a naïve & mentally ill young woman and this in turn leads to tragedy when she falls in love with a French naval officer.
Shot in 1966 and released in Italy in 1967, the production was considered unrealesable in the United States. It was eventually given a limited release by Cinerama in 1971 but faded quickly. It’s a bit odd that a flop ended up available in a mini feature format on Super 8mm, however this is the second print we bought as the first one was sold some years ago with awful sync problems, this one does seem fine.
This super 8mm film release is not too badly put together but the feature was very slow anyway so the editor couldn't really go wrong, Oh hang on a sec, this is an IE International release, take that back, like other releases from ie there is one or two very abrupt cuts where it leaves you thinking," A? what happened there"? How can any editor for super 8mm putting such a long version together go wrong, some of them did need a kick up the butt but as you all know it isn't restricted to ie international.
I suspect that this was from the same catalogue as another ie international 3 x 400ft film we are still seeking out called Rebels on the Loose. Our good friend Hugh Scott Thompson did give me a pointer to it on DVD but I could never get a reply from the company, so still looking for this, it was quite comical.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 - [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Tom!

Never heard of this one. Its always neat to see the many obscure titles that exist on super 8!

James

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 07, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James, [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC