8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Very Rare Flying Leathernecks. Colour

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very Rare Flying Leathernecks. Colour
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is a film we have had forever, its one that is very common on super 8 as a 4 x 400 foot feature but 99.9% of the time it is only in b/w. This one is in glorious colour and what a print, not a hint of fade at all.
Starring John Wayne, Robert Ryan & Don Taylor and directed by Nicholas Yay and produced by Edmund Grainger. This film is edited from a 102 minutes to around 70 and unless you have seen the full feature you would not know where the cuts are, it's been very well edited, the action is fast n furious and is a great mix of acting and actual war footage, all in excellent colour.
Major Dan Kirby arrives at VMF-247 (wildcats) as the new commander, he is strict and makes this clear from day one. They have few planes at there disposal and come under Japanese attack constantly, Kirby is also a big fan of low ground attack to support the Marines, but until many are lost HQ do not approve of his tactics. In his most successful mission he leads his squadron in an attack on a huge Japanese fleet based on the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

We did have a b/w feature of this movie but this one came up at our local dealer Movieland International, we had never seen it advertised anywhere as being available in colour but picked it up for £50. I have to say in colour this really is a whole new film and I simply could not watch the b/w versions again.
Just look at these shots,(incidentally, these shots as always are taken with a simple digital camera as it was projected so the image is much better again on screen).
Can anyone enlighten me on this release? Was it also from Mountain film? Barry Attwood was chatting to me some years ago at Ealing and did mention that he would love to get hold of a colour copy of this movie.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2014 04:06 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Review Tom [Smile]

Yes Mountain Films released this colour version too but in a ltd number as the B/W prints were more common.

Nice to hear the colour is holding up well on your print too.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a COLOUR print of this title and again the colour is very good.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The film stock is AGFA.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2014 06:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brill, I was beginning to think we were alone [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 30, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice color and AGFA besides! No wonder the color has held up so well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 31, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how bad the fade is on many Mountain releases, you're both very lucky!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 01, 2014 02:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what we thought when we viewed it Thursday evening, its the first time through the projector for over five years.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 05:22 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann printed copies of Flying Leathernecks for a while which is why there are a low fade prints about. They had access to negatives from Mountain. King Kong and Citizen Kane would be other examples.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 05:16 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I think the above prints are from Derann.

Some Ken's 400' and MGM's 3 x 400'are also found to be reprinted by Derann and they are as good as the above screen shots.

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, ours was genuinely from mountain, it came in an all in one box with the spools fitting neatly into separate sleeves within the box. The box cover had the mountain films logo in the middle and cartoony like drawings of various characters including John waynes true grit character.We had the same box for several old mountain films.
The only one we ever had from mountain in clam shells was another very rare print which we still have and that was Run of the arrow, full length in colour supplied on (i think) 6 or 7 400 foot posh boxes. And the colour on that one is also still very good.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2015 08:41 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom you would know with the film stock. The mountain prints had good colour but were slightly softer than the Derann prints..

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 10, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall try and find out the stock, your right on that one though, the image is slightly soft, a pain to focus.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2015 02:26 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann print ironed out a few of the kinks but the battle sequence at the end using real footage caused most of the focus problems. I was able to get film onto 1 x 600 and 1 800 reel. That said it has great colour, great story and is very repeatable.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC