8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Over The Top 1987

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Over The Top 1987
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OVER THE TOP
3X600ft Optical Sound
 -
(Also on 70mm with 6 track Dolby Stereo)

This Super 8 optical feature holds quite a few memories when a UK distributor secured masses of 8mm feature films with optical sound and made them available to collectors. Over The Top received mixed reviews upon its release also receiving the 70mm film treatment as well which adds interest to this 8mm print at least for me. I’ve always liked the story which is quite a mixture of pathos and action plus Slys usual pondering looks typically dragging the story out somewhat. OTT is rated by some fans as the 6th best he has made to date although others may disagree with that in light of his more recent pictures.

In Super 8 Optical Snd it’s a nice watch and usually available at reasonable cost today not breaking the bank for a big star film who perhaps has become more collectable as the years go on. The print is sharp, entertaining and takes us back to a time when all the action 80’s films were happening plus a smidge of interest to see a film in 70mm instead of the usual 35mm. Of course this also correlates to today’s cinema happenings with 3D or watching the same film in standard format in other words we had a choice. The fact that this titles also made it onto 70mm as well as 35 adds a bit more interest in the 8mm print having extra film history attached so a nice one to look out for. My own pile of ‘these films made it onto 70mm and also 8mm’ has grown over the years like many I am guessing. Back in the day we even used to have lets pretend its 70mm screenings which was fun in your own front room!

The story.. Lincoln Hawk (Stallone) is a hard up trucker who also arm wrestles to make extra cash while trying to rebuild his life. His wife dies and he tries to make up with his son who he left behind years earlier. His son does not think too highly of him until he enters the World Arm Wrestling Championships hoping to receive the grand prize of $100,000 also an expensive custom truck and start his own trucking company.

So there you have it another nice title to look out for which will entertain in more ways than one, particularly if you have a pseudo 70mm show.
A nice print sourced from thirty thousand feet!

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have this one yet Lee, but have always quite fancied it.
How is the colour holding up on your print nowadays Lee?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 04:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite reasonable Andrew for a 20+ year old copy. Sent you a PM.
Start  -
End  -

Cannon Films founded in 1967 defunct by 1993 were popular in the UK for lower budget movies, video release and a cinema chain.

Worth a watch. www.youtu.be/kgD-nrVvxSY

Cannon Films certianly have a fan base! www.cannonfilms.com/

[ June 18, 2014, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi andy paul foster has a copy of over the top

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know Kevin, just didn't know what the colour fade situation was like on this print until seeing Lee's copy.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee ...

How do you get some great photo's of the super 8 frames, sprockets and all?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copy of this a few years back and the colour was faded, for a recent film and with low fade stocks widely available I was surprised, I also had the Fourth Protocol and that was really pink, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi.
1/ Decent 8mm prints.
2/ Car boot sale £20 Summit Photofix S Quick easy not designed for 8mm but simples which is ideal for me and very VERY basic. [Cool] Job done!

Yes Mark we need to be a little cautious when buying Opt or any prints for that matter if we are looking for the ultimate I guess. I’m guessing many of us have seen some very bad copies over the years but you will find some very nice ones still about. The Memories of Me opt feature I have is pretty amazing in clarity and colour for instance.

[ June 19, 2014, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 19, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark ...

One of th sad truth's about optical super 8 sound features, is that the lab, being that the films were only supposed to be distributed to the airlines for a few months tops, saw no need to put most of them on top of the line film stocks ...

Therefore, while the rest of the super 8 world tossed aside Kodak SP as soon as LPP became available, the optical super 8 film labs bought up this film stock and used it as long as it was available.

In some cases, it was used up to the very end. I have a print on optical super 8 of "Stand and Deliver" (1987/88?) and this film looks to be on Kodak SP as, while it doesn't look quite like it's faded, it appears that the overall color quality is on the slightly "brownish" side.

Other later prints like "Little Shop Of Horrors" is on Kodak SP as well.
It's just a miracle that some prints did make it onto LPP film stock, such as "Pale Rider", "For Your Eyes Only", and "Rocky 3" (all of which I have) all of which have absolutely spot on color without a hint of fade. Especially in the case of "Rocky 3" the color spectrum has a bluish cast to the color, hinting at early LPP film stock.

I hope this helps. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 19, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have five optical prints, Clara's Heart, Over the Top, Memories of Me, Shout at the Devil and Internecine Project and Memories of Me is the one that really is looking superb. One of my better prints. The others are quite okay, just not perfect

-

-

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 03:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the altitude that saved the colour Osi [Big Grin]

Vidar I think Memories of Me is the bench mark and does demonstrate just how great 8mm optical can look, certainly the labs were in full swing then. The minute optical sound track never ceases to amaze me.

Will be projecting OTT again before long so will snatch some pictures off screen and pop on here.

Happy days!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 04:28 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Over the Top is watchable, but nothing like Memories of Me
 -

There's blues here, but it's not popping colors
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 04:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another nice print Vidar (Clara's Heart)and another one I am on the look out for one day. I had Memories of Me first time around in the hobby and it was a lovely print with great colour from Derann in 91. very sharp too for an optical print.

I think I paid only £39 for it even back then.

I have to say though, the film itself bored me to tears and it was with no regret when that particular film was taken back from me with the rest of my collection back in 96.

The same cannot be said for the rest however, especially my most recent purchase at the time..Mary Poppins [Frown]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 07:41 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
Thanks for that info,I also had A Fish Called Wanda and Clara's Heart and both were excellent colour and sound,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 07:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the box artwork original or collectors made?

--------------------
Maurizio

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurizio,It's not the original artwork and collector made but looks good,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mad for making the box artwork on my films the best it can be myself,I have to say the "Over The Top" cover artwork looks fantastic! Well done whoever created it, great job!

Apologies in advance to our friends across Europe & the States;

"mad for it" is a Mancunian expression meaning "very enthusiastic for" if lost in translation! Ha ha

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 21, 2014 01:45 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew it was made by some genius (cough cough) with very little hair left, could do with loosing some weight and loves his 8mm far too much!
If anyone wants the artwork PM me your email and I would be pleased to forward. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 02, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice job Lee, if I ever get the print (it would have to still have good colour) then I will take you up on that kind offer!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 03, 2014 02:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problemo. My pseudo shows are great fun for us projecting 8mm prints of films that were issued on 70mm. It's all just good fun of course but a good example of even more you can get out of using the tiny Super 8mm film gauge to great effect plus usually the optical prints are not expensive. Making colourful box art to accompany your prints is another bit of fun to be had as well. [Cool]
Nice frames Vidar as usual.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this was one of those airline prints secured by our friends in Dudley.

At the time it was really exciting because the price was only about £60.00 as I recall.

I was only 17, couldn't afford new features, but had recently managed to buy a second hand ST-1200HD with optical sound.

It didn't even matter if the film was any good; just owning a recent full length feature was enough! As it turned out Over The Top was pretty entertaining pop-corn!

Lee, I remember a few big releases being printed on 70mm at the time, Back To The Future, for example. Actually, the aspect remained at 1.85:1, but the 70mm versions had the 6 track Dolby which was truly spectacular at the time.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC