8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Tarantula U8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tarantula U8
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Halloween countdown continues!

TARANTULA - Super 8 / 200′ BW Sound / Universal 8

Ahh those crazy mad scientists. Our story starts as the deformed victim of said mad scientist returns to exact vengeance. Glass is smashed in the brawl, growth serum injected Tarantula escapes into the desert. A truck is tossed into the air and destroyed and strange sounds are heard in the desert. It’s not long before our hero (John Agar) is on the phone to the authorities. Our Tarantula has grown into monstrous proportions and now is the time to deal with it. Carefully planted TNT barely slows the beastie down so napalm dropping, jet fighter, Clint Eastwood is called into action to burn the hapless spider into ashes!

WOW! All time great 50’s monster film is given a star treatment in this digest. Originally put out by Castle Films, I have the U8 box version but the film is the same. Nice sharp print with good contrast makes this a must have monster movie on super 8.

an A+ U8 For cramming in lots of monster and the steely eyes of Clint Eastwood.

-

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY familiar with this one...as when I was in 8th grade or so, I got the silent version.... taped on reel to reel the sound when the feature was on TV....cut the sound to match the digest...or at least as close as I could come. projector would only go...at best maybe 20fps...rheostat speed knob. So I had to allow for drift...sometimes having to add pieces of tape with no sound.... By the time I had finished and shown it a few times...I was familiar with every frame, every nook and cranny of it . It was a particularly nice sharp STANDARD 8 print.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a tough one to obtain when I was kid. I saw a 16mm print projected at a local library, but it was never in stock at my local haunts, or I certainly would have picked it up. Finally got it during the Universal 8 days. Guess I could have ordered it from Castle, but that was more expensive.

[ October 31, 2014, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Marshall Crist ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Terry! Yep! early Clint there!

Hmm ... cut scenes of the super 8 optical sound "Firefox" into "Tarantula"! Hee hee hee.

eh, I'd never mutilate a film print like that!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This ones is on Ebay right now
Current bid of $31 is about what i paid for the U8 a few years ago.

Wonder what it will go for.

Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC