8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Full Screen Ahead

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Full Screen Ahead
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 18, 2014 02:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full Screen Ahead
Derann Films
200ft B/W print on color film stock

A very interesting 10 minute promo for Pinewood Sudios and its film releases for 1956.
The films starts out with a scene of Belinda Lee as she gets out of bed at 5am and prepares for another days filming at Pinewood. A British double-decker bus pulls up in front of the entrance gates to the studio and delivers a bunch of day shift workers. We then see the electrical power generators which are needed to power all the studio equipment and arc lights. This is followed by Belinda getting some final make up touches and the cameraman and director setting up for a cafe interior scene. Rank star Peggy Cummins is shown in the make up room, and Flora Robson talks about film scripts. Then we see the editing room and the screening room with producer Betty Box. Excerpts from the Rank 1956 releases are shown, with Bettys StJohn and Patrcik McGoohan in High Tide at Noon, a picture I have never heard of, and James Robertson Justice in a hilarious scene (in color) from Doctor At Large,. A final scene with the lovely Belinda Lee (who died so tragically young), and then we see the film dailies being shipped off to the labs for overnight processing.
A great little film which will interest any audience, and particularly film buffs.
Print quality is superb, with excellent definition, and great contrast. The black and white print is on color film stock. Sound is excellent.
I think this 200 footer may have been edited down from a longer promo reel, as there are references to other films such as Hell Drivers, which are not shown.
Highly recommended

Print: *****
Sound: *****

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was shown at Blackpool at the weekend, very much enjoyed by me.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 19, 2014 05:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard via someone at Derann that it definitely was edited - I would have welcomed a Hell Drivers clip!

Be warned that several prints have some difficult to describe marks to the bottom of the image; not negative damage but something else which isn't a conventional fault. My first copy - which I sent back because of excessive vertical movement - didn't have this but Derann then said all copies had the fault, and a collector I know had the same problem. So anyone with a copy without the fault - such as Bob Nicholls, as the one shown at Blackpool looked very good - can consider themselves lucky.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 19, 2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine looks fine Adrian. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC