8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Hare Breadth Hurry" (1963 Warner Brothers)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Hare Breadth Hurry" (1963 Warner Brothers)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't put up a review in quite awhile, and my new acquisition into my collection, brings it out in me, therefore ....

One of the things I love about this hobby is how it endlessly surprises me, and this month was no exception to that rule.

When I think of Warner Brother cartoons on standard 8mm, I think of the pre-1948 catalog of Warner's shorts, sold to A.A.P. productions and largely released on super 8 in various states of decay. Some were taken from great negatives, but most were taken from mediocre to downright deplorable condition, so imagine my surprise when I found a somewhat obscure 1963 release on not super 8, but standard 8mm, “Hare Breadth Hurry”.

This was a neat little curio, as it starts out with what appears to be the standard Wile E Coyote V. the Road Runner, but after a short bit of chase, it turns out to be Bug’s Bunny, who is substituting for the Road Runner (as the bird has sprained a “giblet”), so he is taking over.

This leads to Bug’s making many a comment of the Coyote’s many failed attempts, “You know, it’s amazing what this joker goes through for a meal”, and it of course, ends with the coyote getting the short end of things.

I have always admired and enjoyed the output of Chuck Jones over the other directors, as good as they were. By the early to mid 60's Bob Mckimson and even the great Friz Freleng were putting out cartoons that were a pale imitation of what they were putting out a mere few years before, (there were new story people as well as new animators that were not up to par, as well as the always plummeting budgets), but Chuck Jones still remained quite fresh in his approach, both graphically and gag wise. This was the second to last Bug’s cartoon that Chuck directed, (with “Transylvania 6500” being the last, also from the same year), and to find this late Warner's release on standard 8mm, (much less, not finding it on Super 8), makes it that much more of a find.

The question is … who released this cartoon on standard 8mm?

To start, it obviously couldn’t be before 1964, with an original release year of 1963. The film stock states (in big block letters) KODAK, followed by small numbers “192” and then “safety”.

One thing is for sure, it must be some form of low fade, as the color has not faded at all. The print, I’m assuming, must be from some time late in the 60’s to about the mid 70’s as, while standard 8mm stock was still available for home movie filming, standard 8mm package films were all but dead by mid 70’s.

… and I have absolutely no idea as to who released it, as there is no markings on the film, (concerning who released it), on the beginning or ending leader, and it came in a plain white box, so I have no idea.

Therefore, can anybody help in my search to find out …

1. Who released this on Standard 8mm?
2. When was this printed (based upon, perchance, the films markings)?

I would be amiss, if I didn’t mention the the Procuror of this precious print …

BARRY ATTWOOD of INDEPENDENT 8!! (Shop at Barry’s!! Note: Shameless plug!)

I thank you for your time and, as always ...

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!!!

( ... and Standard 8mm too!)

[Smile]

[ May 28, 2015, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 04:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Osi. Your knowledge on these matters is amazing! [Wink]

It will be interesting to find out how the colour has held up so well from stock this old. Truly amazing.

I know home movies can still look fantastic from the 60s but seldom do you find a package movie still with vivid colour from this era.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks 4 the compliment, however, I must say that if not for the many people that "people" this as well as other film sites, I wouldn't have half the knowledge that I have, so I consider myself the happy "receptacle" of years of other peoples vast knowledge ...

So, the thanks goes out to them as well! [Smile]

Now, back to the question. I would love to know who actually released this, as then, I could find out if other rare Warner's toons ever made it out on super 8 as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC