8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » That Riveria Touch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That Riveria Touch
David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 11:09 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've been after this digest for a while - so when it came up on Barry's list at Independent 8 - I snapped it up.

So what do we have - well a brief history lesson before I start - "That Riveria Touch" was the 2nd feature released by the Rank Organisation starring our very own irrepressible Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise and it has to be said that it's probably the best of the 3 films they made in the 1960's - the first being "The Intelligence Men", the last being "The Magnificent Two" - which I believe Powell films released as a 4x400ft (although - I personally feel that this film is the weakest of the 3).
Anyway onto the digest - well those editor boys at Walton Films played it smart here and instead of trying to cut down the feature - where Eric and Ernie get duped by a gang of jewel smugglers on the French Riveria - they sensibly opt for releasing an extract - which apart from some minor trims is the last 18 - 20 minutes of the film. So you get a little bit of Eric and Ernie exchanging some dialogue with the fabulous Suzanne Lloyd before she swims to "Le Pirates" ( the villainous Paul Stassino) boat and he tells her where in the chateau the emeralds are hidden - cue for fun and games at the chateau with Eric and Ernie outwitting the gang of crooks with the help of a trap door !! Then Pirate appears and makes off with the jewels in his sports car, followed by Eric and Ernie in their old jalopy - a high speed chase that has to be seen to be believed - especially with Eric's novel way at how to make their car go faster. This all climaxes with the police in tow with a speed boat and helicopter chase with Eric doing some unintentional water skiing and Ernie joining him for an impromptu paragliding session. All ends well with a wedding and "Well the best man won, but who was the best man" to Eric's final pay off line - "we'll figure that one out,when we come to it".
Picture quality considering the age of the print is very good with little fade and the sound is excellent.
All in all a great souvenir of Eric and Ernie - seek it out if you can - especially if you are a fan of the finest double act GB has produced.

David

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review. Had this in my collection quite a long time now. Think the Mag 2 was from Collectors Club in black & white.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 02:40 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your right about "The Magnificent Two" being a 4x400' B/W release by Collectors Club, but they also released a 400' edition in Colour (a very nice print too, if you can find it!).

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 21, 2015 03:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, we bought that Riviera touch from our local Dixons years ago. When we got it we soon realised that it appeared to be the final reel of the feature. The colour and print are superb, as is the sound. I did write,(no email back then) to the manager of Walton films asking if they planned to release any more excerpts but unfortunately the reply was no. It wasn't that long after this release that Walton were no more.
Magnificent two was released by collectors club as a 4x400ft feature. Our part four is quite bright compared to the first three. They then went on to release a one off colour extract which was basically part one of the feature and ends as they escape from prison. Such a pity they couldn't get the rightes to do the feature in colour. [Frown]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I just don't think that "The Magnificent Two" is a particularly good film - I think Eric and Ernie's writers at the time - Sid Green and Dick Hills weren't particularly in tune with the style and as such wrote a picture that was against the tone of the previous two pictures. But I still believe "That Riviera Touch" was the best of the three picture deal with Rank.

David

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 21, 2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I do agree with you on this, M&W were defiantly at there very best on TV. I don't think any of there films did very well as far as critics were concerned. Magnificent two was in fact condemned at the time for having far too much violence for a comedy.
A far cry from todays movies though [Wink]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2015 04:15 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 'The Magnificent Two', I thought this was the best. All three of their films are available in a box set.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each to their own Robert,
But I find "The Magnificent Two" unfunny and a little too violent even for a U or A certificate film in the late 1960's. I feel that Morecambe and Wise writers - Green and Hills wrote a film that was in style and tone - completely removed from the previous 2 films and both Eric and Ernie look embarrassed that they are a part of such a film. In various books written by Eric's son Garry - "The Magnificent Two" has been slated as a very unhappy experience for both comedians.

David

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, I didn't know any of that, regarding their feelings about the film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC