8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Kidnapped 4 x 400 ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kidnapped 4 x 400 ft
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is defiantly another one of those Michael Caine films that is so underrated and has been available on super 8 in feature, (abridged),& 400 foot edition for many years, not particularly rare but rarely mentioned. Until now [Big Grin]
First of all, the simple plot,
Young David Balfour,Lawrence Douglas, arrives at a bleak Scottish house, the House of Shaw's, to claim his inheritance after his father. The house and land have been under the custodianship of his father's brother, Ebeneezer Balfour, Donald Pleasence, but on reaching adulthood, the land and property become David's. Ebeneezer is having none of it, however, so he , has him kidnapped by sea captain Hoseason, Jack Hawkins, with whom he has, "a venture for trade in the West Indies". David is shipped off to be sold as a slave in the Carolinas'. Fortunately for the lad, he strikes up a friendship with Alan Breck, Michael Caine, escaping from Prince Charles Edward Stuart's defeat at Culloden. Breck is in a cobble which is run down in the fog by Hoseason's ship and once aboard, asks Hoseason to take him to France. When Hoseason refuses, Breck offers him 60 guineas to put him down on Loch Linnhe.

On discovering that Breck has a money belt full of Jacobite gold, Hoseason and his crew try to kill Breck, but he is forewarned by David and the two kill half a dozen of the crew before the others retreat. Hoseason offers terms to end the fighting, but the ship runs aground. Only Breck and Balfour appear to survive and they manage to get to land. They set out for Edinburgh, dodging the ruthless Redcoats. Numerous adventures follow as they meet up with Brecks' family, friends and foes alike. These include Breck's cousin, James Stewart, (Jack Watson), and his daughter Catriona, with whom David falls in love.
Also included in the cast are Freddy Jones and Gordon Jackson.
With the opening title sequence to an almost perfect music score by Roy Budd more or less showing the last battle between Scots and English although this is not what the film is about. This was made at a time when Jack Hawkins was suffering with cancer and is voice,(not quite in sync) was dubbed by actor Charles Grey.I recommend this film 100%.

This was purchased by us in its original boxes many years ago and then spliced together onto two 800 foot spools. Our print is in great shape with no colour fade and has excellent sound and a good Sharpe picture with very vibrant colours especially the green hills and blue waters. I have seen the uncut version,(107 minutes), on TV. Walton couldn't really go wrong with editing but there was ,as always, one or two cuts where you think "why"?

I wonder if anyone on here has the 400 foot cut down and could tell me if there are any scenes in the two reeler that are not in the this 4 x 400 foot feature.
Will try and get some pictures on here by the end of the week.
[Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
great review of this excellent film Tom and I've sent you a PM regarding another of your favourites! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cheers Andrew, thanks for the pm, fingers crossed. [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
here's hoping pal [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does this compare to the Disney version?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not run my 400ft version for years and it is the widescreen (anamorphic) one, but suspect has the same content as the flat one. When I have time I will show it and check.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian [Wink]

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2015 04:48 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom

I emjoyed that review and I personally very much enjoyed the Walton 4 x 400 of Kidnapped. Good print - and a great Michael Caine performance.

I can never understand why it got mixedreviews from the critics at the time.. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 31, 2015 03:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. If only Walton could have made it five reels. There is actually quite a bit missing. You wouldn't happen to know if the 400 footer has any footage that's not in the feature would you?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC