8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Boundin'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boundin'
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 30, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Boundin’ (1x200’, Color, Sound, Derann Film services)

This is a neat little film. A tale of a proud sheep finding himself shorn and dejected, and the wisened Jackalope that gives him some sound advice on getting through it.

It’s the idea of a man you’ve probably heard, but maybe never heard of: Bud Luckey. He’s one of those voices like Wallace Shawn (Rex from Toy Story, Mr Huff from The Incredibles and countless others ) who is vaguely familiar because you’ve heard him so many times for so many years, but even more so with Bud Luckey because Wallace Shawn has gotten on screen a lot more (…usually some irritated and irritating man who shows up to complain!).

Think of Eeyore: That voice is Bud Luckey!

This film started out as Bud Luckey’s brain child. All the writing, all the characters, and all of the voices too are the happy product of this mournful sounding man! The Talented Folks at Pixar did the rest. It’s colorful, musical and active. If you ever need a film to grab a group’s attention, especially at the start, here’s a good one.

Besides: It’s kind of fun to show such an obviously modern film on Super-8. It boggles people’s minds! (“Where did you get that!”) My nephew actually thought I filmed a Pixar off the tube. (I thanked him for the completely unjustified compliment to my abilities!)

Derann’s print is beautiful. Wonderful color and sharp too. The sound is great. This has to be among the last of Derann’s new releases, it was premiered with The Incredibles in late 2004.

It shows its theatrical origins by being 16:9 AND anamorphic, to allow the projectionists to show it with the ‘scope The Incredibles without having to change their lenses, just the masking. From the point of view of this amateur projectionist, it is a minor pain: I only set up for ‘scope every couple of weeks and only watch some of my ‘scope films every time. This means this gets less screen time than a lot of my other films which I like just as much.

“Rare” is such a hyped word, I hate to use it, but I haven’t seen this available as a used print very many times. So ether it is unusual, or collectors (like me) just aren’t looking to sell!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 30, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! I must have watched that short a million times at the cinema "check focus and sound" just before the main film started...Pixar made some good stuff [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 30, 2015 05:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
"Great write up Steve!"
Maybe one for Phil to use in next month's mag?

With your permission and Doug's of course.

I'd say both of statements towards the end apply to this print.

Not seen too often and whoever has one, tends to want to keep it that way! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC