8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Easter Parade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Easter Parade
Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 07:19 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unsure as to the company that printed this particular title. Some have said that MGM itself printed it, others Derain, and still others Red Fox. The print I recently bought has beautiful color (looks LPP quality), a strong magnetic soundtrack, and a very clear crisp picture.

Easter Parade is one of the last MGM musicals Judy Garland made for MGM, and the pairing with Fred Astaire shows that she is every bit as good of a dancer as she is a singer. The Pygmalion-like story features Astaire taking a girl from a chorus line and turning her into a major vaudeville era star. 17 songs written by the great Irving Berlin showcase a musical extravaganza that earned over 5 million dollars in its initial release in 1948.

The film came mounted on two 1200 foot reels. If you see a copy for sale, grab it for your collection. I'm glad I did.
I'm having a hard time posting some pics, so after someone else posts, I'll go back in and try to share a couple of pictures I took to show you color quality.
If anyone can help determine the company that printed these, feel free to chime in. This print is a definite keeper!
 -

[ November 24, 2015, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Jack Cleveland ]

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 26, 2015 07:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, since you have posted several pictures in the other thread, just copy all the picture addresses and paste them here. You do not need to upload the new ones. It is also giving less burden to the 8mmforum's server.

--------------------
Winbert

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I purchased a copy of this print last year and only recently got to re-examining it. It has Ken Films hand written on the leaders but it was sold as a Derann print. Forum research affirms this to be probable as Derann acquired many Ken Films Negatives when Bob Lane retired. I've looked for edge markings to determine the stock but none present. It is a Mylar low fade with very nice overall color and sharpness. Good clear sound too.
I found this to be a very enjoyable film upon first viewing, and happy to see the print to be in such nice condition.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 12, 2018 09:48 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful screen shots Burton. What an amazing quality print! IMO Easter Parade is one of the top 3 MGM musicals.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2018 08:33 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul, Yes the print is very nice; lucky for me as the seller posted no screenshots so I had to take his word. I am curious what other 2 MGM musicals, along with Easter Parade make Your top 3?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 13, 2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 Singin' In The Rain

#2 Meet Me in StLouis

Both have amazing quality Derann prints on Super 8mm

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 14, 2018 10:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely screenshots ...

Singing in the Rain ...

and, a surprise ...

Paint Your Wagon!

(Who knew Lee Marvin could sing?)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2018 09:51 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi! Paul, Great choices. I have a very nice copy of Meet me in St. Louis but my Singin' in the Rain print has low color saturation. Not faded, but washed out looking. Still sharp but lacking the quality of the other two. Showboat is another stunner and worthy of mention

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 15, 2018 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must not have been the Derann "Singing", as that is a glorious technicolor looking print on low fade.

I think that only thing that has been released of "Paint Your wagon' is the "making of" featurette, (I think)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2018 07:35 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked my Singin' In The Rain. it is Eastman Safety only
not LPP, Not the Derann release. I will now be hunting for the Derann version of SITR, along with an LPP release of Till The Clouds Roll By...P.S. There is a scope trailer of Paint Your Wagon.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2018 05:37 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, there was a 'scope trailer to "Paint your Wagon" released as well as "No Name City" the making of you mentioned. I have both.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC