8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "The Trade" (Disney Documentary)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Trade" (Disney Documentary)
Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2015 02:04 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few words concerning this very interesting 2 parts documentary (2 x 60M).

Walt Disney is explaining how his animators team is working, this is well done and illustraded with some extracts from Classicals (Snow White, Bamby, etc...). That give an idea how much this is work of patience, shooting each cellos, one after the other.
Second part explains how Disney has developped the famous "Multi plane" camera tower which was a revolution from 1938, as before these date, backsgrounds were supposed to appear "flat" (in opposition to the new system)

I assume this is a Derann Print, approx 150M or half an hour.
Colours are nice, not fade at all,sound too, sharpness is medium.

Highly recommended.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil

I got this release from Derann years ago. I think it was £39.99 new. It was on one of their extra lists which they sent out. It was on one 120m 400ft reel when I got it. Ideal companion to it is Once upon a Mouse 180 m (600ft) this was an official release as part of the Disney deal and print and sound are better than The Trade. I found Once upon a Mouse more entertaining than the Trade and footage explaining the multi plane camera is also covered.

It is a rare Disney title to have.

Years later the footage in The Trade was shown in BBC tv documentary Disney The Fairy Tale Years.
▶ 15:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442R2kl1s_8

Mike

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2015 11:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a Mouse is the perfect accompaniment to any Disney Super 8mm feature as a lead in.

It really encapsulates what unbelievable lengths their team went to to produce the quality of animated films they did.
A great historical fast paced record of their fine work.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean TRICKS OF OUR TRADE ? Which is a 600 ft Disney educational film, (adapted from the tv show of the same name),or is this a different one?

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the full title is Tricks of our Trade. It was sold under the title The Trade.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC