8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Boy's From Brazil. 400ft Colour Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Boy's From Brazil. 400ft Colour Sound
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, here in brief is the shortest story line you will have read,

A Nazi hunter in Paraguay discovers a sinister and bizarre plot to rekindle the Third Reich.(That's it)

Director: Franklin J. Schaffner
Writers: Ira Levin (novel), Heywood Gould (screenplay)
Stars: Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivier, James Mason.

This is a film i have never actually watched but when it first came out in 1978 i really wanted to. Every time it came on TV i always seemed missed it.
The reviews were never kind even though it did have 3 academy award nominations including best actor for the brilliant Laurence Olivier.
Then came the 400 footer released by Walton Films, could i ever get my hands on a copy? not until last month when i put my bid in on ebay and got it for £18, and took my chance, fortunately the description was 100% on the ball and the quality of this release,(or at least this print), is absolutely top notch. No fade, superb sound and stunning colours.
In my opinion it is a release that would have been better as a 2 or 3 400 footer, however, this is still a pretty good short and it doesn't try to include too much, you know the story so its not really rocket science to work it out. The final sequence after a vicious fight between Gregory Peck & Laurence Olivier see's Gregory Peck violently mauled to death by three dogs & it is handled very well, to see two of the worlds biggest movie stars like is actually quite startling. Overall a hard to find and satisfying cut down with top quality. Just look at the white on black titles, the images are not great and dont show how sharp it actually is but it does give you an idea.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 04:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great find there Tom. Lovely quality and terrific colour!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it certainly is Andy, there still out there and at good prices to. [Wink]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom

Great find! Good film. Oscar winning performances by both actors.

PatD

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 07:10 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Walton 400' and still retained it's color. Nice pics.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC