8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » A Bundle of Joy 400ft Colour Version.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Bundle of Joy 400ft Colour Version.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now i know this film appears on just about every sales list and always has done, but it is usually in the b/w format on both 400 foot extract or 4 x 400ft feature.
The full feature on 7 x 400 foot spools was mentioned on another forum the other day and it got me in the mood to watch my 400 footer. The plot is very simple and well known,

Bundle of Joy (1956) is a Technicolor musical remake of the comedy film Bachelor Mother (1939), which starred Ginger Rogers.
It stars Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, and Adolphe Menjou. An unmarried salesgirl at a department store finds and takes care of an abandoned baby. Much confusion results when her co-workers assume the child is hers and that the father is the son of the store owner. Quite a good little comedy which in this spool ends in the original place and includes the musical number "a bundle of joy".

I saw this little gem on ebay and surprisingly won it at what i considered a bargain price. What i was very surprised with was how good this print is and how rich the colours are with no fade at all, i am sure this is an agfa print. It has the original box which is also in very good condition and there are no splices in the film.
If every mountain release was as good as this one, (along with our 7 x 400 foot full feature in colour of Run of the Arrow), they would have been up there with Walton and Derann. Paul Foster also had the full colour feature some time ago but unfortunately was advertised as some fade so i avoided.
This 400 foot extract pretty much appears to be the last reel of the feature with a short spell of the original titles at the start, it's set at Christmas so makes for a good support film at the seasonal time.
We had this in b/w for many years but i have to say the colour version just makes so much difference to this title. If one comes up in colour its well worth it.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 04:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievably stunning screenshots there Tom from a 400ft digest!
You've certainly whetted my appetite for the full feature of this one there with your excellent review!

I cannot say I have many digests now that look anything like as good as this one of yours does.

Well done Tom! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2016 09:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the bluish shift to the print, Tom is probably right about it being Agfa, which is no doubt the reason that it has such unfaded colour.
I love the RKO logo, a real icon.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC