8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Man Who Would Be King 1975 Optical sound feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Man Who Would Be King 1975 Optical sound feature
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I have done a film review, and I have been inspired to do one, especially since I just received a super 8 optical sound feature that I had wanted for quite awhile, and one which has a slightly interesting history.

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING

... starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine, as well as Christopher Plummer. This classic feature, directed by the great John Huston (and in my opinion, his best latter day film he directed in his declining years), is about the relationship between two British con-artist/solders of fortune, who decide to go to a third world country and because of their expertise, become the rulers of the Kingdom.

As gentleman of fortune and gentleman indeed, they make a pact not to drink or "dalley with the ladies" until they have succeeded in their quest, and go off on their quest they do.

They go in disguise as Merchants/Gypsy's. They do go to the Kingdom, but find that there is a prophesy that Alexander the Great would return to their country and by the greatest of coincidences, Sean Connery (Danny), is mistaken for the Son of Alexander, thereby inheriting the great treasure that Alexander left behind ("God's Holy trousers!' as Danny would say) ...

... but this position goes to Danny's head. He starts to think that he IS the Son of Alexander as well as a God to these people, and insists upon breaking their pact, wanting to stay in the country and sending "Peachy" (Caine's) back. Unfortunately for Danny, his attempt to marry a local (who is Michael Caine's wife in real life, at least, as of this time), who destroys the image he has put forth (The God bleeds!)

... Danny and Peachy are forced out and Danny is put to death, ("Cut you filthy beggar!") but stalwart friend, Peachy never leaves Danny's side, and in fact, brings Danny back with him, in a matter of speaking.

A true, classic film.

I has a chance to bid on this classic, as a copy of this came up. The seller said that it had "warming color", and it does indeed have that, but not too bad actually, about a 7 out of 10 on my scale, (but then, this film was largely made up on "earth tones" to the color, and even the laserdisc of this had barely passable color, however, I do hear that the Blu-ray is quite good), but the delight to my heart was I got the BETTER of the two copies.

This optical feature is a curiosity among super 8 optical features, as there was both flat and letterboxed versions. I'm assuming that this is the UK version, as it is letterboxed, as well as very sharp, and it is unedited. That is, Sean is bare buttocks naked, as well as the other short scene with nudity, but I cannot verify is the flat version has this footage edited out, (I'm betting that the flat version is the U.S. release of this feature), and it would be interesting to find out if this footage was edited out.

Another clue that this is the U.K. version, is that it has that shot of Danny falling into the deep canyon to his death, which was not in the U.S. release, so it would be interesting if the flat version had this as well.

The optical sound is better than most when it comes to this title, as many optical sound UK prints, while having great image quality and better than average color, also tend to have weaker sound, this one is nice and loud.

I'm glad to finally have this film in my collection!

Long Live Super 8!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 09:45 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Connery at his best!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 09, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this the first film where Sean Connery appears with his actual hair loss, (without a toupe)? Or, did "Robin and Mariam" (another wonderful, underrated gem that I would LOVE to find as a super 8 optical sound feature!!!)

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 09, 2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes. But the crown covered his head.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 02:28 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I managed to pick up an ex rental full length magnetic print of Robin and Marian from Perrys Movies a few years ago - a little fade - but a really wonderful film with a great British supporting cast.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 04:36 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favourite adventure films. I have this on 16mm full length and scope, but warm, shame.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky man David!@ Truly lucky! Is that super 8 magnetic or 16MM magnetic?

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 01:44 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

It is a Columbia super 8 full length magnetic print

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE you! (no, not really, just incredibly ENVIOUS!!! [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC