8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Pépé le Moko (1937) 1x400ft Digest Japan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pépé le Moko (1937) 1x400ft Digest Japan
Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2016 08:39 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before there was "Casablanca" or the American remake "Algiers". There was Pépé le Moko.

Pépé le Moko is a film released in 1937 that some might say is the greatest gangster film ever made. The star of the film, Jean Gabbin, is regarded as one of the biggest stars of French cinema. His role in Pépé le Moko was a tour de force that brought him international fame.

Set in French Algiers, the story follows Pépé, a gangster from Paris, who is on the run from the authorities. It`s a story of love, and friendship, and betrayal.

-

This movie was released as a 400ft digest here in Japan in the late seventies. My copy of this digest has VS but with it being a black and white film there is no fade. My bulb was a little too bright for the film(Xeon) and I have a short throw, so the contrast is not that great in the screenshots. I felt like the editing of the film was very well done for a film that I had never seen before.

This digest was released by a company called Sungraph in Japan. They released quite a few digests here in Japan. Unfortunately, it seems like most of their releases were on Eastman Kodak film. This digest was released in optical and magnetic at a cost of 15,550 yen ($75) and 20,500 yen($100) respectively in the late seventies.

I would be curious to know if this film was ever released on Super 8 in France or anywhere else.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2016 04:43 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's a really cool find!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 22, 2016 05:18 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mireille Balin who plays also in this classical French film was a big movie star before the WW II. She sadly ended badly.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful review of a digest that everyone, but you, probably didn't existed, and thank you for opening up another whole realm of super 8 collecting, (or, at least, what to find on super 8 elsewhere).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC