8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Next Door Neighbors" Edgar Kennedy super 8 sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Next Door Neighbors" Edgar Kennedy super 8 sound
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 17, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us remember Edgar Kennedy ...

My first introduction to him was many years ago as the disgruntled Lemonade salesman in "Duck Soup" who has a feud with Harpo, (very funny!) ...

... and later, I saw him in many different assorted roles, all, in one way or another associated with comedy, (such as the landlord in the classic "A Star Is Born" 1937) ...

... I didn't know, however, that Kennedy was SO prolific! This "master of the slow burn" made an astounding shorts, as well as features! We will look at one specific short of his from early on, and a good representation of Kennedy at work ...

Next Door Neighbor!!!

The plot line is simple for this short ...

1. Edgar plays a composer of music who goes "ballistic" at the slightest bit of "noise".
2. The next door neighbor is recovering from a hangover, and is also easily upset by noise.
3. The only phone, for both households, is in the hungover neighbor's apartment.

... and, if that's not enuf ...

4. the landlord is working outside, attempting to fix a picket fence with his son looking on.

The events build up nicely as the two husbands (as well as the wives eventually being involved), going off over every inadvertently or on purpose slammed screen door and the phone constantly going off, (which in large part, initiates the conflict in the first place). They end up tearing apart each other house, furniture and all. There is even one delightful scene in which, as Edgar plays a waltz on the piano, his neighbors, in his apartment, engage in a "Destruction waltz", purposefully knocking into and destroying Edgar's furniture.

To make matter worse, every time they are going back and forth, they are walking through and breaking the picket fence that the landlord is working on. The landlord eventually tossed out both renting families out into the street ...

... and then, in a gag to top them all off ...

... just when the landlord thinks that he can fix the picket fence in peace, his own son takes a hammer and breaks up what is left of the fix, which leads to a close-up of the landlord as he comes in on the camera (and we presume, the son), as we hear, after the fade out, a terrifying scream from the son! very funny!! (note: child abuse like this wouldn't fly these days!!!). Wonderful over the top ending.

This print, though being from 1931, is in a very good condition for an early short on super 8. I was highly surprised by the sound quality on this. often, early sound films are very hit or miss, but the audio is very clear, without an extra high amount of pop and hiss from early soundtracks. the print itself, does not have a dupey quality at all. Not the greatest range of grey tones (as in the case of the Columbia stooge shorts), but very good. The negative material used for this short was in very good shape as well. Complete original beginning and end credits. I was first exposed to this short on youtube, and this super 8 copy really beats the youtube copy in all departments.

For those who have not seen this short, here is a link to the youtube video of it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISucwuN9h1M

(there is a second half which you can go to right after the first part.)

This is a very good introduction to Edgar Kennedy comedies and I highly recommend it!

and, as always ....

LOVE LIVE SUPER 8!!!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 17, 2016 03:33 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll buy - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and you'll be the first person I'll go to Shorty. At least you know where there's a copy of it. [Smile]

The funny thing is that i had a standard 8mm sound 400ft short of edgar Kennedy that I quickly passed onto others (it was part of the three film deal on ebay), and I never bothered to watch it. i don't remember the title but i wish i had at least watched it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 18, 2016 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC