8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Romancing The Stone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Romancing The Stone
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2016 12:01 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired a print of Romancing The Stone. It is a Derann stereo print that came on four 600' reels. This film did not disappoint with the typical characteristics of Derann feature films. Has great color, booming sound, & a sharp print. I hadn't ever seen this film before but for an 80's film I thought it was pretty good. In my opinion not much good came out of the 80's (except for me of course [Wink] ). Has a decent balance of action and comedy throughout the film. Oh yes, and it has romance (go figure).
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 06:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fabulous film, like most from the halcyon 80's I find.
For music and film...I love the 1980's. Derann's finest era!
Well that and the early 90's anyhow.
Their catalogues were huge in this era!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2016 07:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed a wonderful quality print on LPP (when I bought it 1 reel at a time, Derann helped like that with the expense on features). I'm not sure if all my reels are in stereo, but some are as I think for while some were released in stereo only, and advertised as mono compatible as with Dolby stereo the dialogue would be on both tracks at equal volume.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOVELY ... GORGEOUS color!

... an a fun film to boot. Good, old fashioned action film!

I don't see this one come up all that often on film lists or ebay. it used to be very common, (being up for sale, that is).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It crops up from time to time on dealers lists and e bay still.
No less than others from this era.
There are plenty of others that are much more difficult to source. Like W.F.R.R. for example! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great find Zech! Well done!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 06:35 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came close to listing this feature on ebay recently but after giving it what was to be one more viewing i decided to keep it.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 07:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy it from you Tom, should you ever decide to sell it.
Just name your price mate.

--------------------

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it was a fun one to find and watch. First time projecting a scope film with my GS-1200 [Smile] It isn't a rare print, but like mamy Derann features films it isn't exactly common either so they seem to typically go for plenty when they come up for sale.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 02:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will bear that in mind Andy [Wink]

Zechariah, i think your right, there are loads around, (like Die Hard, predator,Alien etc, but i think many people hold onto them due to the lack of being able to replace them with anything else as there were hardly any new feature releases in the last 10 years of Derann. The only one that comes to mind was Master & Commander of which i purchased an odd reel 5 which very fortunately contains the best part of the film, the huge battle between the French and English ship. Its great. [Wink]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2016 01:14 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This is a typical adventure "happy" movie for everybody from 7 to 77 years old...

Moreover, once more, this is an excellent DERANN SCOPE item (8,5/10).

Finnaly, I regret to have sold it....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 23, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame Phil, it's one I really like also! 😊

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 23, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame Phil, it's one I really like also! 😊

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2016 04:33 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew..........
That was "a long time ago", means around 90, and as I remember, I was needing money to buy Doctor Zhivago, full Scope feature from Kempski.
To get a good price, I went specialy in Germany to meet mr Dietrich Kempski in Garbsen (Close to Hanover), by car with some other collectors.
We were very well welcome by Dietrich, I remember he was using a FUMEO Xenon projector for his personnal use.

Of course, Dr Zhivago is a "different style" of feature, but be insure it's a breathtaking quality. Feature come throught 12 x 120m reels!!!

So this story took time before the special arangment passed between DERANN and KEMPSKI, allowing DERANN to gain access to KEMPSKI Negatives Bank (BEN HUR, Fearless Vampire Killers, West Side Story, may be Nevending Story, etc....etc....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 24, 2016 05:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are very fortunate Phil to have met such a legendary character in Super 8mm package movie history as Mr Kempski in person. I bet that was quite some conversation you had there with him! [Smile]

The original Kemski prints that i've seen and in some cases owned, are as you say, simply breathtaking. Up there with the very best!

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, that was a very interesting experience, unfortunately, this trip was made just during one day, snap "go and return" means........1200km total !!! .(I can not do it anymore now..)

As, rush, rush,So we didn't spoke a lot, moreover , I was younger and not too much confident with English speaking (I do not speak German)...... Now, what about Him ?

Something that I pretty apreciate, collecting Super 8 was the opportunity to come In England , may be twice a year or more(Westminster Central Hall Super 8 Convention, Perry's Ian & Arthur next to Heathrow Airport, DERANN in Dudley for special Open Days, meeting Garry Broclehurst......

That was a great experience too, as England was supposed to be the most dynamic place in the world for super 8 during 80's until 2000's.. (As Internet was 'nt available yet, Derann Newsletters was the only direct link with overseas collectors)

So the Business was easy, first, calling Gary to book an item and in a second time writing to confirm....
Gary is very patient !!

Reaching US market was an other story. I was used to receive "DAVE THOMAS" Newsletters, proposing interesting items, but that was limited due to our Custom supposed to watch that.

Souvenirs, Souvenirs.....

[ June 24, 2016, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 24, 2016 12:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great great tales from a bygone era there Phil thanks! [Wink]

1200km in one day, now that's dedication to the cause!!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC