8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Common Market

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Common Market
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 27, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common Market (1962) is a double length Look At Life distributed by DCR (Dave West) of Sandown, Isle of Wight. It is on LPP stock but the colour is not too high a standard for LPP, perhaps the original did not have good colour. Don't get me wrong, the colour is quite acceptable. Tim Turner was obviously on holiday when this was made as the commentary is by the veteran broadcaster, John Snagge.

The film is an assessment of the purpose of the Common Market during a period in which its (then) member States had begun to remove trade barriers. The last title reads, "What will the Common Market be to Britain? Watch Look at Life again soon."

Look at Life was a popular British series of short documentary films of which over 500 were produced between 1959 and 1969 by the Special Features Division of the Rank Organisation for screening in their Odeon and Gaumont cinemas, it replaced the circuit's newsreels which had become increasingly irrelevant in the face of more immediate news media, particularly from television.

DCR issued many from the series, as did Derann, although the latter may have sourced from DCR as their Super 8 labels look surprisingly similar.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2016 02:32 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a keen fan of the Look At Life series,they captured the feel of the 60"s very well and were very optimistic in their outlook.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 16, 2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get enough of these!

Some favorites:

The Big Blow
The Other Film World
Shopping for a Queen
Spirit of Brooklands
Jumping Jets
Auto Cine (The only drive-in theater film I've ever found in 8mm.)
Under Your Feet

They might be able to revive newsreels these days, they'd probably need to find better news than we've been having recently though....

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 17, 2016 08:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put shorts back in the theatres - I have my arguments why - Shorty

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty, Disney Pixar are always putting a cartoon short before their features in theaters, but those are for a limited audience. I do wish good live action short films had the avenue of first run theaters, not just hopeful film festival submissions.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2016 03:41 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the old newsreels. They tell you more in 10 minutes than the 24 hour TV news channels.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 05:40 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you guys remember those "Mining Review" shorts ?
I have one on 35mm.
I remember having to wax those Movietone Newsreels as they
were "green prints" fresh from the labs.
We had different ones to show Mon/Tues/Weds then one
for Thurs/Fri/Sat.
Ah the "good old days"! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2016 08:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

Mining Review shorts came up on 16mm Forum recently:

Mining Review

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 10:07 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve thanks for that link to the 16mm forum.
Very interesting.
We showed them as programme fillers to take up time in
some shows if the features were very short running times. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC