8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » G-16 (The Adventures of Sally Sargent)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G-16 (The Adventures of Sally Sargent)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 14, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just won a collection of 10 cartoons, and one of them was a cartoon called G-16. I thought that might have just been a lebel put on by the collector for where it sat in they're collection, but wasn't the actual title of the film.

I then found out, upon watching it, that it was indeed entitled "G-16" (The Adventures of Sally Sargent). This stars a teen girl that not only goes to high school but also "part time" runs around as a secret agent, with her trusty "man-servant" who knows karate.

I tried to look up this cartoon on youtube. No luck. I then looked it up on ask.com and found out that this was never even a cartoon series!

What I have on super 8 is a "pilot" for a TV show that was never produced but somehow, amazingly, made it onto super 8!! This was produced by Terrytoons, (the company responsible for Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle), in 1968, shortly before the cartoon studio went under. Talk about wild!

Yep! It's a pilot! What really surprises me is that someone, somewhere along the line, released this on Super 8mm, no doubt an attempt to at least make back some of the money they put into this ten minute cartoon (it comes right up to the very edge of the 200ft reel).

But who put it out? Honestly, i have no idea.

The print, itself, has a little wear, a little scratching, but very passable. The color has a very slight fade, the faces are a little pinky, but all the other color is there, and the print is pin sharp. magnetic sound.

Truly, a rarity!

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 08:33 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows if the company that originally made the animation still has their masters. Some archive that finds this post through Google may be contacting you wanting to borrow your print in a few years.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 15, 2016 01:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tried to look up this cartoon on youtube. No luck. I then looked it up on ask.com and found out that this was never even a cartoon series!
It is on youtube Osi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuh5laxVARw

This pilot has never been made on to series. So this is the only episode exist.

Sally Sargent is the last cartoon made by Terrytoon and never been sold.

There were several people used to work with Hanna Barbara in making this episode resulting this episode did look very HB toons, however this is from different studio.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 15, 2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert!! Thanks for that help. I must have typed it in wrong!

Interestingly, it not the complete cartoon, (which is one super 8), there is a "promo" bit about 45 seconds or so long, where Sally is driving with her friend, she drops her off, then another car drives up and a thug, (the "mugsy" type from the remaining cartoon), picks her up to take her into town, and kidnaps her.

Ha! Super 8 wins out over the youtube video!

Yep! I'm cleaning this very well the archive it!

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Great when you find a rarity like that. Makes collecting so rewarding and satisfying knowing that it is perhaps unique.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 16, 2016 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it keeps me going ... [Smile]

I found out from Jerry Beck that this was actually part of a full hour program originally, with a number of other "hopeful' shows. I'm betting that no one will want to borrow this print, as it was mostly released on 16MM, so, unless the 16MM copies lose all color, It'll just stay in my collection.

One of my friends, john, brought up an interesting point to me.

He couldn't see much interest in an item like this, as it was never made into a series for TV and nearly no one would have heard of it, and when you include the cost (even back then) to make a negative for super 8 prints, it probably wasn't a money maker. Perhaps there were only a few prints made, off of one negative, (a negative, as a general rule, starts to go downhill after about 20 passes through a printer, sometimes even less).

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC