8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Close Encounters of The Third Kind ( Extra Long Scope Trailer)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Close Encounters of The Third Kind ( Extra Long Scope Trailer)
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2016 04:52 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing I shall never afford to see the delights of this fine movie in all its super 8 cinemascope full length glory on my own projector,and for the last umpteen years having to settle for the 400' flat version, I have managed to track down the next best thing and that is to sample the experience with this extra long ( 100-150')cinemascope trailer.
The trailer opens with the "Do you want to report a UFO" sequence which is longer than the 400'version but doesn't include the bit at the end where the reply is "Negative...We don't want to report."
Then it goes into voice over spiel explaining what the three different stages of encounter are,then explains the film is directed by Steven Spielberg, at which point still photo's of him appear,then Julia and Michael Phillips,then Douglas Trumbull. The photo's then appear as two either side of the screen with very brief glimpses in the center of behind the scenes footage.Then goes on to introduce John Williams and advisor on UFO's Dr.J.Allan Hein. Then we are introduced to Richard Dreyfuss via stills and are reminded of his appearance in "Jaws," followed by stills of Francois Truffaut.
There follows a shortened version of Dreyfuss in the car on the railway crossing experiencing his first encounter. It then moves to an edited scene NOT in the 400' which is Neary (Dreyfuss) in the interrogation room with the officials that finishes with "Who the hell are you people?"
Following this,there are a succession of movie interviews with Dreyfuss,Spielberg and others explaining what a Close Encounter is.
This then jumps to the scene where Gillian Guiler's (Melinda Dillon) son opens the door as there is a space craft passing and the screws on the air conditioning grid unscrew themselves.
Then follows a few seconds of footage from the Gobi desert scene,once again not in the 400'version,where everyone is running across the desert to see what has happend.
Finally, there is a very edited sequence,with some more shots not in the 400' version,of the reactions on the faces after the spacecraft lands and includes the classic shot when the craft is landing, of following its shadow along the ground plunging the spectators into darkness. Somwhere in this final sequence is the shot from elsewhere in the movie where the camera tracks along the road to approach the white light over the hill.
Most of the film contains voice over but doesn't go over the top.

I think,as a trailer, this is magnificent.To see this in cinemascope as opposed to flat is truly mind blowing. A completely different experience.It runs approx 6 minutes and contains lots of information.The picture quality is as per the 400'(good)and the sound is A1. I am not sure if there is a flat version of this trailer lurking around,but if there is, I would urge those,like me, with just the 400' version, to buy it as it really does contain extra bits to enhance your Encounter!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this trailer. I worked as an usher at my local movie house. We showed this trailer every night for a week. I thought it was one of the best trailers I had ever seen. Eventually, the film was released and I finally got to see it. It's one of my all time favorites.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 10, 2016 09:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to get this trailer, thanks for the excellent review there. [Wink]
Now on the look out. Well, you never know your luck.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2016 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is that very trailer, up for sale on ebay UK right now ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLOSE-ENCOUNTER-OF-THE-THIRD-KIND-1977-EXTRA-LONG-SCOPE-TRAILER-SUPER-8-SOUND/262661084432?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DRE C.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37338%26meid%3Daf8e18cdd2c74b24aca37e8100a956cc%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D122144115599%26clkid%3D8884137248597982430&_qi=RTM2247626

please note that it does have a little fade to it. It's OK at the starting bid, i guess.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2016 01:20 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - Take note! Item number is 262661084432 AND it's a "Buy me Now"

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 11, 2016 01:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking a look now, thanks chaps [Wink]

Now ordered. It maybe a little more faded than i hope but the price is not bad for such a rarity.

[ October 11, 2016, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 12, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome Tom! [Smile]

That color may not be too off from it's original color. Sometimes those Cineavision, (though cherished by me), could have slightly "iffy' color from the beginning. I've noticed that every print of "Force 10 from Navrone" (Cineavision 400ft digest), have been faded looking and judging by each seperate scene in the digest, can be very on and off color.

Fingers crossed on it looking better than the shots! [Smile]

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2016 12:18 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a YouTube link for this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxp32VHaYdE

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 17, 2016 06:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All here, its a great trailer although unfortunately a lot more faded than i normally like, however, it was untested so i am happy with it and will hang to it for a few showings then probably move it on.
Anyone who has this one with good colour is doing very well. Its 150ft long so longer than the one on the youtube link above. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 17, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, i was wondering what the actual running time of the trailer is, Tom? The one on youtube is 4 minutes and something seconds. How long is the super 8 one?

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 17, 2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good 6 minutes this one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 02:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Selling this one on again. I do wish people would not say still plenty of blues and yellows when the dam thing is red [Mad] [Mad]
Pity because it is a good promo but i dont collect red films. [Frown]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a real shame to hear that Tom. [Frown]
I hope that someone here still doesn't mind red prints though for you mate.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it is, i guess its another ebay lesson learned. Trouble is when i sell i like to be 100% honest. I guess i should have known better, no screenshots are always a chance, but having said that ive had a few showings and now know that this one coming up again will almost certainly be faded. The full feature is way out of my price, im more than happy to show my digital disc onto my widescreen via the Epson i bought off Mark.The price tag, £5 [Big Grin] Nuts init.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 05:02 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - Without sounding like I am in for a dig, the print I tracked down is in far better condition than the screenshots you have placed on Ebay. So just to assure you that there are STILL better prints to be had out there. (There is also the "Special Edition"1980 trailer up for grabs at present, standing at £16).Good luck in your search for a decent copy.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 11, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, appreciate the info there Mike, i will keep an eye.
Oddly enough i did sell my special edition trailer only as this was very short. Also, i see the seller has put scope on his listing, this trailer was never released in scope only flat.
Someone will be disappointing. Although the image and colour are excellent on the special edition trailer. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC