8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Day of the Triffids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Day of the Triffids
Trevor Collett
Junior

- posted November 22, 2016 12:55 AM      Profile for Trevor Collett   Email Trevor Collett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently locally acquired the Mountains Films 4 x 400' DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS color/scope edited version of this 1962 film in original boxes. All original leaders and tails (never been spliced or respooled to larger reels). While the editing is a bit ragged (including printed splices) on the whole this version runs well keeping the tension up. Ending a bit abrupt though and as stated very obvious editing splices (but no physical splices on the print itself).

From memory this 4 x 400' contains all the effective highlights of the full feature (edited from 93 mins).

Printed on Fuji film stock for full running time around 70 mins. Color is very good. I've seen posts that the original release had a reddish-brownish tinge so I think there's no color fade at all. All colors are present (greens blues reds yellows etc) for which I am greatly relieved - the opening meteor shower looks great. Definitely a brownish/reddish tinge during night scenes, but perfectly acceptable in my opinion when all colors are still present.

Print brightness is fine too. No too-dark-to-see scenes.

Print condition is excellent. No scratching or other damage, and good sound quality too. Probably only screened a few times since new.

Curiously, nowhere on the Mountain Films boxes is there any mention of this print being widescreen or scope. I thought I was getting a flat print. But it's anamorphically squeezed and needs scope lens to unsqueeze to cinemascope width.

Boxes (400-foot cardboard sleeves) are each fully printed. Part numbers are 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 and 4/8. The 8 must stand for 8 reels (an 8-reel feature on 4 spools).

Sharpness is good (but not excellent) - even with a scope lens the picture is just as sharp as a lot of super 8 titles at the softer end (actually better than the softest prints I've seen). I found watching it fine.

Contains the original BBFC X certificate title card. Now, of course, a family-friendly PG.

On the whole I am happy to have picked this title up at NZ$150 (around US$105) - reasonable value for print with no wear, solid color and scope.

Film (as edited): *** (out of *****) - unedited ****
Print: **** (out of *****) - as new, but only *** when compared to later Derann releases.
Original boxes: **1/2 (out of *****) - a lot of wear.

Rating of print takes into account still very good color and general condition. So hopefully you'll find that prints of this title still have good color, although I suppose depends on how stored and in what climate.

Just to note this print is not for sale.

--------------------
Trevor Collett
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good thorough review Trevor! I have this color/scope version too. The leaders on my print were already cut when I got it, so I have it on a 1200' reel...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 22, 2016 11:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review! It would be great to see some screenshots from this release of the film, (especially with good color!). [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2016 11:44 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes a great review Trevor [Smile]
This is one of my favourite sci-fi films .... along with War Of The Worlds.
I saw this listed on Trademe and had thought of bidding on it myself but wasn't sure of the quality of the print.
But you've confirmed it's in great condition.
Well done for buying it [Smile]
I guess "you snooze , you lose" really applies to this [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Trevor Collett
Junior

- posted November 23, 2016 11:30 PM      Profile for Trevor Collett   Email Trevor Collett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments.

Joe - I routinely respool and so splice leaders/tails. Decided not to this time since it's now one of the very few features I have that is as-released.

Osi - I don't use a digital camera and don't even have a cell phone. The color isn't perfect, only that it seems to be as good as probably first released, and in fact was far better than I was expecting. The grass really is green (you wouldn't be surprised to learn I have 'color' prints where green is absent.) But night scenes (of which there are many) are definitely on the warmer brown/red side.

Clinton - I wasn't going to pick it up. The first time listed I did ask about the color and was assured it was good and vastly superior to the sub-par DVD release. It wasn't until it was relisted that I just decided 'what the hell'. I too find this a great little science-fiction horror, and happy that the editing isn't too bad. But do wish it was 80 mins or so like the Powell or Walton 8-reelers.

--------------------
Trevor Collett
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC