8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » SWISS MISS with Laurel and Hardy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SWISS MISS with Laurel and Hardy
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2016 07:01 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SWISS MISS with Laurel and Hardy
Super 8 B&W magnetic sound
4x400' reels
Blackhawk

A delightful musical comedy that is funny and enjoyable, but not nearly among L&H's best. This has the feel of a "loan-out" feature rather than a Hal Roach production. The L&H "plot" alternates with the straight plot throughout its 70-plus minutes.

The print is very-very good, but just short of being excellent. It is fairly sharp, and the faces are not washed-out, but I have seen better Blackhawk L&H prints. The sound is great.

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 12:17 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was informed that the most "complete" print of Swiss Miss
is the one that was released by Pathescope on 9.5mm Sound.

Can anyone confirm this for me ?

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I always hated Walton for editing Laurel and Hardys and Tom and Jerrys this was one film I think was helped by cutting some of the crap operetta songs that Hal Roach seemed to adore and want to include in every film.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 05:26 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think probably the most complete copy you will find is on 16mm. I have a copy and I have to agree that the storyline and operetta nonesense is rubbish, but still some great classic moments from the boys and a must for collectors of L&H.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 05:34 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Super 8 Blackhawk print is truly excellent. I agree that it doesn't measure up to their earlier features, but it's still leagues ahead of their later Fox features which were just abysmal being that Stan Laurel's hands were tied where creative input was concerned and the boys were simply relegated to hired help simply marking time for a paycheck.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree Brad. A shame that they did not retire before Fox got hold of them.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 03:52 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid they had to work to live it was only after the UK tours that they could afford to retire. Hal Roach had the film rights with the other studios so they made most of the money for original film releases and re runs. When television broadcasts came they got nothing and their work was butchered to accommodate advert breaks. Both the boys also had messy divorces particularly Stan who married on a whim which cost him dear. Stan and Babe's widow sold their likeness rights for a pittance to Bozo the Clown aka Larry Harmon in the early 1960s who made a fortune on them until his death in 2008.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 05:01 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry I have been informed that the 9.5mm is longer than the 16mm
print.

Although I cant verify this as I don't have a 16mm copy to compare the running times.
... Anybody !!! [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 07:43 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The official running time is 72 minutes. AFAIK, Blackhawk's version is complete except for the replacement of some of the main titles.

SWISS MISS is notorious for having scenes deleted before theatrical release. I have never heard even a rumor that any of these scenes exist. The most prevalent rumor about this film is that it was shot in color -- but this is in fact not true.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC