8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Day Of The Triffids - Feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Day Of The Triffids - Feature
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend while on break I had the chance to screen my latest EBay super 8 film purchase, "The Day of the Triffids."

What a fun film to watch!

The black and white edited feature was very letterboxed which allowed me to zoom out the flat lens so the height filled the screen. This gave a nearly perfect 1.85 ratio and it was far better than pan and scan 4x3.

Made in 1962 the state of the art special effects are very comical given the current time we live in. And yet, to know this was a big hit scaring audiences world wide during the original release!

I have to say I own a lot of features on super 8. While it probably won't make my all time favorite list; it certainly falls in to the category of most bizarre in my collection, which is good because now my copy of "The Night of the Living Dead" can sit on the shelf with a cousin!

I rate this film as one of the most rare circulating out there in the world of super 8.

Chip Gelmini

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just noticed after leaving this review there is another review for the same movie but a different formatted version I have chosen to leave this review separate for this reason.

Chip G

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's best to watch in black and white. The Mountain colour prints could be summarised in one word "Yuk". That's before any fading occurred. I think Derann later printed this title for awhile as both 4x400 version and 400 digest which concentrated on the lighthouse scenes.

A weird cousin to go with Night of the Living Dead indeed.

Invaders from Mars could also be consider a distant Uncle!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2017 10:32 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 400ft reel which is two 200ft extracts spliced together, the first part has "Invasion of the Plant Creatures" on the leader.

It is from Buck labs on Fuji stock. I haven't projected it recently but think the colour was rather pale, but the title or intro text is strong coloured.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 24, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too sure if it will be any good but i have just purchased a 400ft mountain film from Day of Triffids called blind danger and i have to say the colour screenshots look fantastic, it may not be up to much story wise but the chap did send me a briefing and as he said this 400 footer with this image is very ,(genuinely) rare.
It is 4:3. I will report back when i get it and view it. [Wink]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2017 10:15 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is on eBay now ... and in scope,no mention of the colour fade,if any.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142368878992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC