8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Blind Danger,(The day of the Triffids) 400ft Flat Colour sound (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blind Danger,(The day of the Triffids) 400ft Flat Colour sound
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 26, 2017 03:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a 400ft colour sound Jumbo version, flat, that I never knew existed.

I spotted it on ebay and put in my bid but was outbid. However, along came the second chance e-mail and I decided to snap it up.
This version is called Blind Danger and is basically some excerpts from The Day of the Triffids concentrating on, as the title suggests the blinded population. This is a film that needs no introduction.
I knew it was released in an array of versions, b/w, colour, scope and flat, I also knew there were a couple, (I think) of 200 foot extracts. This 400 footer is completely new to me.
It opens with a caption explaining the meteorite storm which caused everyone looking at it to loose there eyesight. Then we start the reel with Bill Masen (Howard Keel), a merchant navy officer, in hospital. He discovers that while he has been waiting for his accident-damaged eyes to heal, an unusual meteor shower has blinded most people on Earth. Once he leaves the hospital, Masen finds people all over London struggling to stay alive in the face of their new affliction. Some survive by cooperating while others simply fight, but it is apparent that after just a few days society is collapsing.
He rescues a school girl, Susan (Janina Faye), from a crashed train, (the crash is shown in this this excerpt), They leave London in an abandoned car. In the foggy countryside they get stuck in the mud and just manage to escape an attacking Triffid. Great stuff. Later in daylight they arrive at a dock, we hear on the radio an aircraft captain pleading to be talked down, on the plane the passengers panic when a boy asks if the captain is also blind. Then, the plane crashes to the ground, all dead! This is then followed by and ending caption explaining the end. This is a weird way to finish a 400 ft version, but very unique & only mountain would do do something as bad as this after a tense 18 minutes. [Big Grin]
As I understand it many of the features in colour have faded, (I know there are reports of a few good ones left), and also many have a fairly soft focus like many early scope films. This one had 100% excellent colours and, (for mountain films), a dam good focus. Clearly there is a little bit of sourced material wear but nothing to shout home about. The only pity is simply, nothing shown at the start of the actual meteorite storm, this would have made this a fine souvenir of a classic British post apocalyptic movie from 1961.
One question for you blokes, what was the quality like on the 200 ft versions, what were their titles, do any of them show the opening meteorite storm? If so, are the colours and focus good?
IF SO, do you have one to sell me
IF NOT, why not [Big Grin]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2017 07:26 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those pictures look better than the print (or NTSC - Pal converted video, it had that look) that Talking Pictures TV was showing last night.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 09:09 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two of the 200ft versions which cover 1. "The Invasion of the Plant Creatures" the escape from the school after the discovery of the crashed plane and 2. the final reel (?) showing the lighthouse scenes from the break in of the Triffids until the end, no end titles from the film just a "The End of a Mountain Film" card. Both have text cards introducing the action. They are Buck Labs prints on Fuji stock the first looks very pink and the second the more familiar browning of Fuji prints. The colour on hour print is much better than on mine.

I have edited onto one reel and may not have kept the second one's title card title.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 28, 2017 04:00 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering this is a release, in any variant, that has never had a reputation for very good colour (even before fading takes effect), Tom's print is as good as you can possibly hope to see, which is almost miraculous in 2017!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 28, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a beauty, you're quite right Adrian.
I was astonished when I saw this one from Tom!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 06:17 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks a great print. Just bought a dvd its is much better than the old one I had which was faded and window boxed. At least it is now proper scope, but still not really great colour although better.

My original 4x400ft scope from Mountain had nothing like the colour on Tom's 400ft even when new. I only paid £25 though when they were closing Portland Films. How I miss my visit to that shop.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 04:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, i was surprised not only at the colour but that this very 400 footer actually existed, it is great to find something like this on ebay as it does restore a little faith that there are also many good genuine sellers on there. We tend to only talk about the bad and over priced items and sellers.These mountain films do certainly spring up the odd surprise, a couple of years ago we also bid on and won a superb 400 ft colour sound sound print of a bundle of joy, this was also on the same excellent film stock here,

-
 -
 -

I know the full colour features of this title are also on super 8 but each one i have spotted all have fade. This 400 is absolutely tops. [Wink]

I wonder what other colour mountain surprises are out there?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 04:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes for sure Tom, that is yet another outstanding 400 footer. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite recently obtained the Mountain '400 'Splish Splash' (from a certain musical I can't recall the title of at the moment) from forum member Nigel Higgins, partly because the colour was similarly good. The 'Invaders From Mars' 400' is another that often has great colour.

Considering that the 4 x 400' scope 'Day of the Triffids' seems to be from a warm master, it seems the master must have been fading roughly only about 16 years after the film was initially released.

[ January 29, 2017, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 03:33 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian the blind danger came from me also ,it seems some mountain prints retain good colour ,ive also got mexican hat dance,she wears a yellow ribbon all good colour aswell.from mountain again .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401264909433?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401264914253?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Notice to admin this is not a sales pitch just showing the colour of the print thanks.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 05:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, here are the version that I know of so far...

1 x 400ft Colour / Pan & Scan Version - This has a short opening title sequence, the meteorite shower, Bill Mason in hospital with his eyes bandaged up asking to see the meteorite show, introduction to the couple of the lighthouse and the scenes at Kew Gardens with the security guard and the attack of the first Triffid. Ends with the scene on the lighthouse and the fight with a Triffid. Then one of Mountain's rather awful and abrupt title cards telling us that the world is doomed, but the scientists on the lighthouse have the key to killing the Triffids !!??

I bought this as a kid new about 1980 and the colour is still really good - along with "Blind Danger", the best I've seen "Triffids" look ever, even to this day.

1 x 400ft Colour / Pan & Scan "Blind Danger" - I too found this rarity on eBay a couple of years ago having never, ever seen or heard of it before. You know this one now and like yours, mine has great colour. So we know of at least 2 copies now!

1 x 200ft Colour / Pan & Scan - "Invasion of the Plant Creatures" - France; Bill Mason & Coker are in a forest when the single pilot plane crashes, death of Coker and then the scenes at the blind home with the criminals taking over. Ends with Bill Mason, Susan & Christine Durant escaping as Triffids invade the home.

Most copies are rather brown in colour from new and have faded to pink. Mine has faded to pink at the beginning (the green trees are pink!) but picks up a little for some blues in the later night time shots.

1 x 200ft "Destruction of the Creeping Monsters" Colour / Pan & Scan - The final scenes on the lighthouse with the discovery that sea water melts the Triffids. Ends with closing shots of Mason, etc. climbing steps to a church and "The End of a Mountain Film".

All copies pretty much brownish from new, but find all of these versions and edited them together for a rather nice mini-feature. (Also many copies of "Destruction" were out of sync for some reason, but obviously can be re-recorded). Derann sold a batch of these back in the late 1980's (Mountain prints that they had found somewhere).

Now then...1 x 200ft rarity in Colour / Pan & Scan ...called something like, "Inferno of the Monsters"!? I saw this one time only, on a Derann used list about 10 years ago. Darn well missed out on it. I'm guessing it is the scenes in Spain with Bill Mason using the petrol hose on the Triffids? Can any fellow member here help out? Or sell me copy!!??

Also, as reviewed by Chip, the 4 x 400ft B&W masked version (nice but the master was a bit splicy and a couple of odd edits).

4 x 400ft Colour / Pan & Scan. I've personally never seen this one, but have seen several copies for sale.

Full feature in Colour / Scope - Also never seen it, but gather the colour is rather poor from new (brownish).

Also, 4 x 400ft Colour / Scope, but perhaps other members could clarify this one - edit; sorry, David, just re-read your comments on this one & and also Brian's comments on the 200ft releases.

Trailer from Derann printed around late 1990's - Colour / Flat & masked for widescreen. Nice souvenir.

[ January 30, 2017, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 07:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, that is great info, thank you very much for this,
It looks as though the one i should look out for now,(fat chance though i think [Big Grin] ), is the other 400ft version showing the opening and the lighthouse, especially if the colour is also good like the one i recently purchased.
I will give any features and 200s a miss due to there poor colour now. Sadly. [Wink]
Incidentally, does your title and end card also have that rather ridiculous drummy roll type of music on it at the start and end? The same music was also used on many other of there 400 footers. What the hell were they thinking about? [Confused]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 07:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would definitely recommend that original 400ft version if you ever see one Tom.

There are a few printed in marks, but the colour on my copy is like the colour on "Blind Danger", really nice, and has lasted all these years. I still get a shiver projecting it, like I was 10 years old again!

I was a little disappointed at the rather abrupt ending back then, but I've had so much fun discovering the additional extracts over the years and re-making a longer and longer version.

As David has discovered, even the DVD versions are variable and non are great (soft image, out of sync sound, etc. You name it).

To date, the best versions I have seen are that original 1 x 400ft edit and "Blind Danger".

Now who has a copy of "Inferno..."?????

[Wink]

Oh, and yes Tom, "Destruction" does end with, "Dum Dum Da Dum...Dum Dum Da Dum!!!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would make a very nice "digest" to have "Blind Danger" and then the 200ft plants taking over! I agree with all, it VERY nice color, the best I have ever seen for this title! Great find, Tom! (I wonder if the 200ft has held up as well?)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 12:27 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, once again, it really is like I don't exist...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 12:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the words under 'Cinemascope' might have something to do with the colour.

-

Don't think I bought many Mountain Film releases. It does seem that features were poorer prints than 400ft versions. Remember they also distributed the 400ft Columbia and Fox (Ken Films) and these were never 100% top prints.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I will avoid the DVDs at all cost until someone decides to do a restoration job on this movie.
Considering this is a British classic from the early 60s & appears to have a bit of a cult following i am surprised this had never had the full digital remaster like many other movies. A Shame really.
The hunt is now on for the original 400 footer, I dont think i will have too much success but i will keep an eye out. Thanks for all your help on this subject. BTW, is there a title for the original 400 or is it simply day of the triffids? You are very well informed on this Rob. [Wink]

Osi, with the 200s generally faded now i wouldn't be able to make an extended version, the mismatch image would be too much of a distraction.

What this does go to show is that with such a good quality on the 400s, why were the features so soft and with much less colour. Did they work from more than one negative? Who knows?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 01:38 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, the original 400ft version was released in shops with a full cover "Triffids"" cover.

Sold as a Super 8 / Jumbo / Colour / Sound.

Mountain Films.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 02:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Rob, let the hunt begin tight here,

Anyone have one for sale? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob - your comprehensive summary is very useful, and makes me wonder how much planning went into releasing such an extraordinary sequence!

One query: I've always heard that the full length 7 x 400' version was flat and the only scope version was the 4 x 400', so I wondered if there's any conclusive evidence that the full length was scope?

It's also intriguing that the 4 x 400ft B&W version was masked and apparently wasn't from the same master as the colour version. I wonder if the scope master that was edited for the scope release could have also been involved in producing the b&w masked version?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2017 03:59 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This was the cover used by Mountain on the original 400ft extract version and the 4 x 400ft versions.

Adrian, the 4 x 400ft B&W was definitely a different master as it had splices in it and some odd cuts, such as the doctors hand reaching into frame to grab Bill Mason (shock moment) but cutting before he grabs him! I rented this version form Hingston films back in the day and watched it many times.

I believe they all originated from various 16mm masters. On one of Keith Wilton's DVDs the chap who edited them gives an interview. He claims the masters were not very good so it made the task difficult. Personally, I think he couldn't be bothered.

The various releases are intriguing and I can only think Mountain were just milking it. But such fun that they all exist.

I'm pretty sure I remember a full feature 'scope on a second hand list many moons ago but I may be mistaken.

Hopefully someone can clear that up? And find Tom a 1x400ft version and me "Inferno..." [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of this series of posts, i watched a widescreen file of this, both on youtube and then another that I downloaded of the whole film and I must say that you're super 8 400ft print most definitely has better color than that file I watched, (I think both files were taken from the same source material).

Boy! talk about a film that desperately needs the proper restoration done to it and released on Bluray!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dvd I bought is a big improvement on the others I have seen. The original dvd was window boxed and poor print master. The new one I bought while not perfect is a lot better, a proper widescreen transfer and better colour.

I take the words 'digitally remastered' with a very large pinch of salt. ALL films from analogue sources are remastered into digital. But that doesn't mean they have do anything to the transfer.

The full feature from Mountain was on ebay last year.

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 08:07 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Chapter 14 of "A Thousand Cuts", a the book about film collecting , a chapter is dedicated to Mike Hyatt`s restoration of this film. He owns most of the rights to the film. According to the book, he plans on having the film scanned to 4k and add some additional restoration.

Perhaps, someone could talk him into releasing it on Super 8.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with that, Jason! I wonderful thought, however! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC