8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Bravermans Condensed Cream of beatles Super 8 sound GROOOVY!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bravermans Condensed Cream of beatles Super 8 sound GROOOVY!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I love the odd rarity, and when it comes to the odd Beatles release on super 8 ... even better.

Well, they don't get much rarer than this one. A little history on this title.

Charles Braverman was obviously a fond lover of the Beatles. He was a successful TV show producer as well and has won many an award, but his main focus was on documentary film-making. He self produced ann animated a short documentary film "Condensed Cream of Beatles" which consisted of very short clips of the Beatles throughout thier entire career as a band, with varying lengths of thier songs, (none of them complete, but thats OK, we know them all), even incorporating some of the Beatles solo material as well. Though websites state the film to be 12 minutes long, it's closer to about 15 minutes long, (as, while it doesn'
t completely fill a 400ft reel, it mostly fill it). This little gem is a color film and Braverman, crazy fellow that he was, even made an animated countdown leader (which ends, right the number three with a one or two frame with the word "pop" on it!)

This film was first seen on a Reraldo Rivera TV show in 1972, and was later distributed on 16MM by Pyramid films and it's because of Pyramid films that we have this wonderful gem on super 8, (for those that don't remember, Pyramid films was also responsible for the delightful "Mole" cartoons, among some other releases).

Fortunately, Pyramid Films even kept on the original Braverman "Countdown Leader" but sadly, this release never made it onto low fade film stock, (at least Ive never seen one),but the copy that I have is thankfully, holding up rather well over all this time, only a very slight fade.

Though this film has the distinction of being the first, so to speak, documentary on the Beatles, it really is more like a extra long music video but believe me, you won't be disappointed!
It's amazing that he was able to pull this off in the first place!

To this very day, this has never been released on anything, (legally) on VHS, DVD or bluray, so the only way that you can enjoy this film is if you find the 16MM or this very rare super 8 sound color copy!

Here is a clip from this film, that was on youtube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ1UpkV_CL4

Thank you very much Pyramid films ... seek this out for yourself and, as always ...

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Thanks for this post and the link.
A very interesting piece of Fab Four memorabilia on film.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted September 15, 2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi!
You surely seem to be a film god!
It's rewarding to find interesting things in this forum and
about Beatles.

--------------------
Jorma Julku

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good film but I prefer WORLD OF 68 partially cut to the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

I think the longest that I ever hunted for a legitimate CD was for their release with their song, The Smell Of Incense. A blast from the past.

As too Charles Braverman, he also made a 16mm film titled Televisionland, which like the Beatles short mentioned above, is made up of clips from American TV shows, from the earliest days up through the late 1960's. There are 2 version of it. Apparently, when Pyramid Films picked it up for distribution, they had problems clearing the rights for some of the clips, so he made an alternate version removing the offending clips and adding others not in the old version.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of years ago, I ran a duplication department in a video equipment business. One day, a customer brought in a reel of 16mm film to be transferred to DVD. Lo and behold, it was "Cream of Beatles". Naturally, I made a copy for myself.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC