8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Gladiator. Scope Derann 2 x 400 extracts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gladiator. Scope Derann 2 x 400 extracts
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 28, 2017 04:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we all know Derann did two extracts from this excellent film.
Battle for Germania which i saw at an Ealing convention not long after it was released. This was one i had to get, a few months later it was on Paul Fosters list for £25, i snapped it up and thought it was the bees knees for the scope screen, at the time it was bang up to date. There were a few black lines to right. roll on a few years later i assumed all hopes of getting the coliseum excerpt second hand were out of the question. One did come up for £25 and i soon joined them up, a little surprised that they fit so easily onto a single 400ft spool though but never the less its a great action packed reel & we do get glimpses of two great actors who were never to appear in any more films, Richard Harris and Oliver Reed. Well, roll on another few years and another Germania excerpt came up for sale for £20 so i snapped it up and this one had no marks what so ever so i sold the other one i had. (wish i hung onto it now). No point in trying to take these as a cut down of the film as they are both long extracts but any normal audience will love this action packed reel.
The colours as always are nice and rich and the sound is very good. If you dont have these i would certainly recommend them, and both titles stand alone very well as supporting material for any show you may do.They certainly get any audience in the mood for more & they are Scope winners. Such a pity there was no more to follow. Derann were hoping to get more of these extracts out in along with m ore from the fifth element but it never happened. The prints are very slightly darker than normal but this is not noticed by any audience i have shown the m to.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 28, 2017 04:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful screenshots Tom and these two excerpts are indeed an ideal pairing for showcasing the gauge.
I got these two as a pair only a few years back and they seldom have appeared since I've noticed.
A very tasty addition to anyone's collection though if they're lucky enough to find one or both. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2017 03:10 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screenshots there Tom.

Not a fan of this film though. I watched it right through
at a private preview we showed.

I found it too much of a cocktail mix of Fall Of The Roman Empire
and Spartacus and Quo Vadis for my taste.

I also found the camera work very annoying during the
Gladiator fight sequences.

I am not a fan of Russell Crowe either.

The opening sequence is probably a huge improvement
over the entire feature film.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2017 03:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you there David, we do have this on DVD and i think i have only managed to sit through it the once, it's overly long and also agree that while Crowe does an OK job i cannot think why he was main cast especially when you look at the other Great names in there.
These two reels are perfect for the home screen and pretty much show everything we want to see. [Wink]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2017 05:21 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom well they did give it a good shot at bringing back this
"Epic" type of genre but failed in my view.

Still who knows i might still be tempted to buy these extracts
if the price was right.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 29, 2017 05:43 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Germainia bit had great atmosphere but would the other lot really stand around and take it like that !!!

Seemed a bit daft.

I thought there would be a rush of this type of film after Gladiator.

I suppose there was Kingdom of Heaven and Troy.

Best Mark.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2017 05:54 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark and those other two were just about okay. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 29, 2017 09:57 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this film and thought Russel Crowe was great in it. That gravelly voice - perfect. My copy of the 1st extract -"The Battle of Carthage" was pretty spot on in terms of exposure but yours is pretty dark from what I can see. I think a few Deranns were like this. The Lord of the Rings extract was dark too.
I remember when I saw the theatrical trailer it seemed boring to me. But I saw it and thought the script was very good- great tale of revenge.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 29, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I thought Russell Crowe was perfectly and correctly cast for his part in this one also.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a fine print, unfortunately i only use an old 4mp camera on auto during projection. It causes me problems if i take images of slightly faded films to as it makes the red much more red than they are. [Wink]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
That more red than red image should please certain people.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC