8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Escape From Alcatraz 1 x 800ft Marketting Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Escape From Alcatraz 1 x 800ft Marketting Films
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 28, 2017 03:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all the Plot, edited here for this version on Super 8.
Frank Morris (Clint Eastwood) arrives at the maximum security prison Alcatraz. Soon after arriving, he is sent in to meet the warden (Patrick McGoohan), who curtly informs him that no inmate has ever successfully escaped from Alcatraz. Among the inmates, Morris makes acquaintances with the eccentric Litmus, (Frank Ronzio) who is fond of desserts, and the elderly artist and chrysanthemum grower Doc (Roberts Blossom).
Morris also makes an enemy of the rapist Wolf (Bruce M. Fischer), who harasses him in the showers and later attacks him in the prison yard with a knife; both men spend time in the hole. When the warden discovers that Doc has painted an ungainly caricature of him, he permanently removes Doc's painting privileges; in response, a depressed Doc hacks off his own fingers with a hatchet from the prison workshop and is led away. Later, Morris meets bank robber brothers John and Clarence Anglin (Fred Ward and Jack Thibeau), he makes the acquaintance of the prisoner in the cell next to his, car thief Charley Butts (Larry Hankin). Later, during mealtime, Morris places one of Doc's chrysanthemums at the table in honour of Doc, but the warden stops by and crushes it. Litmus is enraged, but as he reaches out to grab the warden, he suffers a fatal heart attack. The warden coldly reminds Morris that "some men are destined never to leave Alcatraz—alive."
Morris notices that the concrete around the grille in his cell is weak and can be chipped away, which evolves into an escape plan. Over the next few months Morris, the Anglins and Butts dig through the walls of their cells with spoons (which have been soldered into makeshift shovels), make papier-mâché dummies to act as decoys, and construct a raft out of raincoats. On June 11, 1962, the inmates decide to leave. Wolf has been released from solitary confinement and prepares to stab Frank with a knife, but English, (another inmate), is able to intercept him. That night, Frank, John, Clarence and Charley plan to meet in the passageway and escape. Charley panics and fails to rendezvous with them. Carrying the flotation gear, Frank and the brothers access the roof and avoid the searchlights. From there, they scramble down the side of the building into the prison yard, climb over a barbed-wire fence and make their way to the shoreline of the island where they inflate the raft. The three men enter the water; partially submerged, they cling to the raft and use their legs as the primary propelling force and kicking. When their escape is discovered the following morning, a massive manhunt ensues. The warden does not want to blemish his perfect record and insists that the men drowned, despite no bodies being found. On a rock on the shore of Angel Island, he finds a chrysanthemum and throws it in the water after being told that they do not grow there.

Originally on 3 x 400ft spools this, like all our other
marketting 3 x 400s,s are joined up onto 1 x 800. A great entertaining cutdown and also very well edited considering its marketing. Colours on this one have held up very well, only the lightest red hue on some of the very dark scenes but only in some scenes which is well odd. Clearly taken from a spotless source as there is not a single mark or negative sparkle anywhere. For once reel 2 follows on perfectly from reel one as well which is unusual for the editors at marketting. Defiantly one of the best along with war of the worlds and The hunter, (both reviewed on here).

Originally supplied on 3 x 400ft spools this, like all our other marketting 3 x 400s, is joined up onto 1 x 800. A great entertaining cutdown and also very well edited considering its marketing. Colours on this one have held up very well, only the lightest red hue on some of the very dark scenes but only in some scenes which is well odd. Clearly taken from a spotless source as there is not a single mark or negative sparkle anywhere. For once reel 2 follows on perfectly from reel one as well which is unusual for the editors at marketting. Defiantly one of the best along with war of the worlds and The hunter.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 28, 2017 03:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I really do love this film Tom and yours still looks fantastic.
One I never see these days or else I'd love to have had it in my own collection.
Marathon Man is another seldom seen now in this era yet there were plenty always for sale on the used lists back in the day.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marketing films were often issued on thin Polyester stock so 400ft would nowhere near fill the reel. This was very convenient for editing onto one 800ft reel.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2017 06:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and they do,(to be fair), make excellent 40/45,(some slightly longer) minute films and with no breaks. Just a shame they were not very good at editing, especially the titles. [Wink]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this and war of the worlds 800 ft versions and the colours are very good , some redness on dark scenes being the only issue.
they both get viewed regularly.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 30, 2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're print looks exactly like my print, except I have the feature version of this super 8 release and yes, an excellent print. One of Marketing films better ones! The feature is flat, non letterboxed but not edited in the slightest. it IS on Kodak SP, but fortunately i can barely see a hint of the blacks changing to browns, (even more-so in the last reel, when it's nearly all at night.

Lean and MEAN Eastwood! Yum!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a great full feature.Lucky for anyone who has this, Or the Warriors.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2017 11:32 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ... yeah lucky if they have not FADED ! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 01, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats the only problem now David, trying to get these on cine unfaded is almost impossible now.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 01, 2017 10:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Excellent review of an excellent film. Your print is far superior to mine. I will now have to check the colors on my Warriors feature.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 06:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope its still OK Doug, especially the Warriors, id love this one but not if it was fading,(which i think they all seem to be now).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 08:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Any I have seen since returning to the hobby, have all shown considerable fade sadly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David ...

My feature of this, "Alkatraz" has been pretty lucky, as it still looks as good as the day I bought it, (and the blacks ... are BLACK!) [Smile]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 12:52 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

That's good news about your print.
It always warms the cockles of my heart to read about prints
from that era that have not faded. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2017 11:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and, if the time veer comes to re-sell them again, they have better cash value! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC