8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Elvis on The Ed Sullivan Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elvis on The Ed Sullivan Shows
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 16, 2017 03:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight was an Elvis Showing. Originally supplied on 2 x 400 ft spools this one is now mounted on 1 x 800ft for an uninterrupted show.
Some very early classic Elvis Presley and the Jordonairs numbers from the USA TV Ed Sullivan shows. This is a great mix, (taken over a period of a year or so i think), of his big hits at a time Love me Tender was being released, a number done twice in this 800ft show. No titles at the start or end are the only things i can really criticise here as this is exactly what is states in the title. There are a few times where Ed Sullivan introduces Elvis and comes onto the stage with him at one point to make a point of stating that "this is a very kind and decent young man", it was the period in his career when some radio and TV stations did not like "his girating hips" as they referred to him, it was new and many Christian folk, particularly in the South just did not like him and thought he was a bad influence on young Americans. Now look at the country.
Also noted on the second reel is a number he does where he goes quite banana's on stage, just as he starts to do his well known jig he halts,(while continuing the number), shakes his head NO with a smile and stands on the spot, (again referring to the TV stations that would only film him above the waist. Quite a funny moment in there, (image 1), suffice to say he finishes the song on full Presley jigging form.
Sound quality is very very good considering the material this must have come from, it isn't at all tinny which is what i was expecting. Image is also good if a little dupey looking but i think much of this footage i have seen on TV is also the same. The condition of this print is A1, the only splice is the two part join and there aint a line anywhere that i can see.
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC