8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Rio Bravo: The Reel Image Print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rio Bravo: The Reel Image Print
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2017 09:21 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rio Bravo 1959, Directed by Howard Hawks. The plot is quite simple: a small town sheriff, with the help of his drunken deputy, an elder cripple and a young gunslinger ward off the assaults of a Cattle rancher's gang intent on freeing the rancher's imprisoned brother. The film stars John Wayne as the sheriff, Dean Martin as the deputy, Walter Brennan as the lame elder, Ricky Nelson as the young gunfighter and Angie Dickinson as a new in town head-turner. This film was later remade a few times with variations, the first being El Dorado in 1966, Rio Lobo in 1970, and was also the inspiration for John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. Rio Bravo is an Iconic western, and a very well written and directed production.
The Super 8mm print I received from The Reel Image is 6 X 600' reels/spools, double striped acetate stock. IMDB indicates running time as 141 minutes and Steve Osborne added a note stating this print from Germany is four minutes longer. The Print quality is quite excellent, very nice color and well saturated. The sharpness is also very good and not too grainy. The print has very good contrast and the source print was in very good shape, save for the few frames before and after the reel change indicators. The Sound quality is also excellent, very crisp and full, well synced by the recording artist ( the print is sent out for recording in English after arrival in North America ).
This was one of the last acetate prints of this title available from The Reel Image. I am sure future orders will be on Poly stock. An excellent Film, and an excellent print From Steve Osborne.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2017 09:25 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent screenshots.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 31, 2017 10:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy i never knew this was on 8 as a feature, i bet it aint cheap though but what great screenshots there. [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 01, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a Scope print? The screen shots seem to have some horizontal squeeze - no way is John Wayne that slim!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, This is a flat print. I need to improve my camera position in future to lessen screen capture image/angle distortion.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 01, 2018 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi that looks lovely Burton. Wow !!!

I watched an interesting 8 episode program about the main characters in the wild west in the last week on Netflix.

Very good and worth checking out, though narrowly focussed.

And John W at around 1926 spent time talking etc with Wyatt Earp on film sets ( as he was hired as an advisor as he actually lived it ).

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 02, 2018 02:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Great facial tones on that print! Thanks for the review!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC