8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Rebels on the Loose (Ringo e Gringo contro tutti ,original title)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebels on the Loose (Ringo e Gringo contro tutti ,original title)
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 04:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after searching for this for years i finally found a print thanks to Hugh Scott who pointed it out to me on ebay. The bidding was low to start and it showed the original box, to be very fair to the seller he said it was untested and it was to be sold as it is. I put in a bid and won it for £17 including postage, so at the end of the day the box and reels was worth it. Tonight i finally got around to looking at it. It took me a few hours to clean up the boxes, what i did like here is that it comes in a well fancy outer case with a built in splicer. (The same as the copy we had years ago but let go), the good bit was when you open it each of the three 400 ft reels is also in a hard plastic case, all in first class condition.
The print,
If i am honest here i was expecting this film to have have fade and other problems. None of the reels had any leader, i quickly sorted that out, upon cleaning and inspecting i found only the lightest of damage to the first foot of reel 3, although this projected fine i will probably do an editing job on it later. The inserts were all like new so no mould or rips, the plastic cases are perfect, i cleaned the film and only a minimal amount of dirt came off, so its been stored in a dry clean room somewhere. Aside the minor damage,the print itself has very good sound, bear in mind this is an I.E International print and there sound was often way below good standards, this one is actually very good, there are a couple of lines to the right but fortunately no green emulsion scratches, so a further clean may reduce these on screen further.
very surprisingly there is only light fade, these images,again, are pretty poor and do not show the true colours but for £17 its great. I have paid three times this from dealers in the past and recieved dirty mouldy films with heavy fade and rubbish torn boxes.
This is an Italian comedy spaghetti westerns with direct mickey taking of the Clint Eastwood films, it has the stupid juvenile humour that i love, lots of one liners and plenty of action. I assume this was a big film in 1966 in Italy, I.E have gone out of there way to get this a very good quality release for super 8, very sharp image, deep colours and masked for widescreen.
The plot,
Two bumbling southern soldiers are still trying to fight the civil war unaware of its conclusion and encouraged by two southern belles who are trying to help those who wish to continue the conflict.
It's as simple as that, a couple of sub plots, (finding gold and rewards) but as always I.E do manage to balls up the editing like the Marketing people in Germany often did, while it isn't of any consequence there are one or two sudden cuts that leave you thinking, what happened there, but overall this is a rare and funny film. In one section the two are cornered in an old mine perused by a group of Yankees, the two confederates need to get out, one says to the other, whats a popular name in the north, "theirs loads of Johns", as one of the pair take aim he shouts, "hey John", one of the yanks comes around the corner and shouts, "yeah that's me", bang hes dead, three Johns later the Yankee in command says, "cant you see this a trick, lets do it back, whats a popular name in the South"?, "well there's plenty of Ringo's", "ok, give me that rifle,", he takes aim at the mine and shouts, "Hey Ringo", the two look at eachother and laugh, Ringo shouts, "Is that you John", Back to the yanks, one walks out and shouts "yeah thats me", bang, It's one you need to see to appreciate the way it's put over, but this is whats its like, i love it & for £17 you cant really go wrong. 40 minutes of fun. Even the music is catchy.
Hugh, if you can read this, Thanks mate. BTW, this is an Italian language film dubbed into English [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC