8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Prison Train (1938)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prison Train (1938)
Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prison Train is a 1938 Crime Drama released by Equity Pictures and issued by Blackhawk. I missed out on an auction for this film back in December and once I saw another print up for sale last month, I knew I couldn't let it slip away again.

The Plot: The film revolves around Frankie Terris, a well known criminal and high ranking gangster. He and his rival Manny Robbins are the most powerful gangsters in the city, regularly making front page headlines. One night, Frankie accidentally kills his rival's son Joe, after seeing him get a little too frisky with his kid sister. Frankie is sentenced to hard time at Alcatraz, but Manny swears he will never make it to 'the rock' alive. Frankie now must take the long journey across the country via The Prison Train. Will Frankie make it alive? Or will Mannie Robbins fulfill his promise?

Thoughts: This film started out really strong, but dragged terribly in the middle. Our main character is confined to a single space, in a single seat, aboard the prison train for the last half of the movie, and the ending was far too abrupt considering the amount of time they spent trying to build up suspense. However, this movie surprised me with its visuals. Interesting camera setups, unusual lighting choices, great use of shadows, and although the film itself failed to deliver in spots, I would recommend viewing this film simply for the choices the director made in telling the story.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Ps: A reviewer online said that Orson Welles was influenced by Prison Train, and even cast Dorothy Comingore in Citizen Kane after seeing her in this film. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but I found it interesting.

|  IP: Logged

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2018 09:10 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Notch review Dave, with very nice B&W screen shots. I agree, the lighting and camera angles are very Noir. Looks like you have yourself a very nice print there.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC