8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The McMasters. 600ft Colour Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The McMasters. 600ft Colour Sound
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 26, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a western that will not be to everyone's taste, everything all PC etc,
This was a release from Iver originally supplied as a double album on 2 x 400ft reels and it fits perfectly onto one 600ft spool.
As a cut down it is average, one or two cuts are a bit sloppy but this edit retains the story fairly well. The sound is good and the image is ever so slightly soft, not as bad as MGM's but not as good as other Iver releases if you get my drift? The main cast is made up of Burl Ives, Brock Peters, Nancy Kwan, David Carradine and one of my favourite actors, Jack Palance, this guy always plays a great baddie.
The print itself is in very good condition and has no fade at all so i assume this to be an Agfa print which is just as well as much of the film is in dark settings. All in all a rare film with plenty of action, but not one for the PC sado brigade.
The plot,
Benjie (Brock Peters) is a former slave who returns from fighting for the North after the Civil War. He returns to the ranch of his former owner Neal McMasters (Burl Ives), who is grateful for Benjie's return.
White Feather (David Carradine) is the Indian leader befriended by the sympathetic Benjie. The Indians agree to help out on the ranch, and White Feather expresses his gratitude by giving his sister Robin (Nancy Kwan) to Benjie. The prejudice of the townsfolk increases.
Kolby (Jack Palance) is the former Confederate who tries to buy the ranch from Neal. When he refuses the offer, Kolby leads an attack of renegades on the ranch. Surrounded on all sides by irate gunmen, White Feather mobilises his braves to rescue the beleaguered duo in this excellent cutdown from Iver Film services.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ March 27, 2018, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2018 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Tom,colours lovely and nice screenshots,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 26, 2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cheers Mark, first time we have viewed this one in over 5 years, i was expecting some fade but pleased to say there is none. Paul Foster had the feature of this film on 16mm i was tempted but it was on Eastman stock so gave it a miss. [Wink]

[ March 27, 2018, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 27, 2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely colors! Great review!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC