8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » When Worlds Collide 3 x 400ft Version

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When Worlds Collide 3 x 400ft Version
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 10, 2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago i sold off my 400ft version of this movie in favour of this longer cut from marketting.
The editing on both the 400 footer and this 3 x 400ft edition are actually quite good for once although sadly, as you all know, the German company did away with any sign of the original titles in favour of these cheap crappy letraset style titles. Other than that everything else has been done quite well on this classic sci fi from 1951. Image is quite sharp, the sound is excellent and the actual condition of this print is very good indeed with hardly a mark on it anywhere. I do have the original boxes but decided to splice it together on a nice bonus 800ft spool for uninterrupted viewings. The colour has held up quite well on this one with the early signs of fade now showing. (As it happens, the 400ft version had perfect colours).
This movie is too well know to run a plot for you so here a few images taken tonight, unfortunately, they appear to make the colours less prominent, the projected image is far better.
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 10, 2018 06:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine looks the same [Smile] The 3/400ft is a good edit and still enjoy screening it every so often. I think the color suits that early 50s si-fi look. I have it on a Elmo 800ft reel as well. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 03:17 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review and screenshots Tom.

I love this movie, especially the destruction effects. I first discovered it when I was about 8 years old in super 8 B&W silent form.

My parents tried several times to order the 200ft B&W silent Star Wars from Portland films, but they were always sold out and sent an "alternative" title instead. You could either keep it or return it. Well, I could never resist watching whatever they sent!

So I discovered Earth vs The Flying Saucers, 20 Million Miles to Earth and When Worlds Collide, all as Star Wars alternatives. [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Years later, I also bought the 400ft Marketing version in colour sound from Derann. New prints, but in plain boxes. Still have that one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 04:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, you ended up with some good classic titles there, i remember the "alternative" titles they use to send out. Clever way of making more money, many collectors were bound to keep trying to order what they wanted but still end up keeping what they didn't really want.
I had the 400ft edition of this title for several years before i stumbled on this one two years ago from CHC. It was a similar story for war of the worlds, (also reviewed on here), i think it was over five years of having the 400 before the 3 x 400 came along. That particular print of mine has outstanding colours to.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 06:41 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tom, ironically having seen the B&W 200fter of Star Wars many years later, I think Portland may have done me a favour. [Wink]

Certainly I cherished those 1950's sci-fi movies. Still have them too.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are always good to view, we have the 400ft version of Earth Vs the flying Saucer. Never been able to get a good sound print of 20 million miles to Earth. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have the 400ft Earth vs the Flying Saucers too Tom & I'm sure I have a 400ft sound of 20 million Miles to Earth? It's stored elsewhere though at the moment.

I seem to recall it being pretty good, unless I'm confusing it with E vs TFS I'll try to screen it soon and post a review. [Confused] [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 400 footer of 20 million miles always had very good reviews Rob. I will now start keeping my eyes open again.

I've just had a disaster of a purchase here in the UK. Bought what was advertised as an 800ft scope Dr who reel with all four extracts. I did question it as i dont recall Dr and the Daleks being in scope, only the 2150AD one. I've been after decent colour prints of the Dr who films for years. Anyway it arrived, guess what, obviously unchecked, its faded and flat, even though the box states "Dr Who part 2 scope", its turned out to be the last two parts of the 2150AD film. Reels 3 and 4 joined up. It's going back and it's also putting paid to any more super 8 for a while. I'll stick with 16 unless its something i really want.
This utterly P****** me off when its a dealer.
And people moan about ebay!!!!!!!

Anyway, just to get back on topic here, did you know,,,,
In the final shot we see the Ark passengers disembarking with an obvious painted background depicting Zyra. This bad painting was tacked on for the film's sneak previews. Originally, producer George Pal wanted to depict Zyra as a miniature set, but Paramount shipped the film out before this could be done.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tom, as far as I’m aware there was;

Dr Who & the Daleks 4 x 400ft flat.

Dr Who & the Dakeks 2 x 200ft extracts flat (did they do these scope?)

Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. 4 x 400ft flat.

Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. 2 x 200ft extracts flat and scope.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 12:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats exactly right Rob. I should have known better really. [Embarrassed]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC