8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Charly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charly
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 12:28 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charly (Cliff Robertson) is a mentally challenged adult who is given a task to complete by his psychiatrist teacher (Claire Bloom). The challenge is this... on a piece of paper there is a puzzle in the form of a maze. The idea is to work out how to get from the entrance to the food using a pencil to mark the route. A mouse, Algernon,is placed in a labyrinth next to Charly, which is the same as the puzzle in front of him. The challenge is to see if he can beat the mouse to reach the food first.

Charly fails.

He is then told that the mouse was "special" in that it had had a special operation to make it intelligent, and would Charly like the same operation? Yes he would.
Afterwards, the same maze/mouse challenge is repeated but to Charly's dismay, he still fails. Later, when all is quiet, he challenges the mouse a second time.... and succeeds.The operation worked! To celebrate, he runs and shouts for joy right across to the teacher's house to tell her the news.

In later scenes,the now non-challenged Charly turns up at the teacher's house with a present for her and tells her that he loves her. Eventually she accepts the shift in their relationship.

Charly is a guest of honour at a doctor's seminar, but things don't go as they had planned. During his speech, Charly produces a dead Algernon mouse from his pocket and asks "Why didn't you tell me the operation wasn't permanent?"

What follows, is the slow disintegration of Charly's false intelligence via both hallucinations in his flat, and the breaking up of his newly found relationship. The final shot shows Charly back to his challenged self, enjoying a see-saw ride in the park with other children.

The film is a 400' colour sound film from Ken Films. My copy was very warm but the colours were still there. The sound was also fine.

A bit of an unusual item that does not seem to surface very often which is worth seeing as,without ever seeing the full feature,it appears to tell a complete story. A nice edit.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had the 5X400ft version of this from ABC films, the same folks who did the 400ft version as well), and this worked real well as a 5X400ft digest. The color on my print was just slightly off but passable. How has you're print held up?

by the way, a truly moving film. Cliff Robertson, essentially, had to play two different roles in the same character, and that is quite difficult.

I really liked the ending, it seems to make out that, yes, Charly has lost his "intellect", but being that he probalby has lost the memories that came with it, he is back to his challenged but blissful self.

Thanks for the review!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen the film, but did go to see the stage show "Flowers for Algernon" based on it (or maybe an orginal book) staring Michael Crawford in the early 1980's.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC