8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Elvis 68 Comeback TV Special 1 x 1200ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elvis 68 Comeback TV Special 1 x 1200ft
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 02:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i found this on a Derann list for £30 i made a phone call to Ged to order it , i had to ask the question about it's quality due to the amount of reports, (especially on the Aloha from Hawaii release), about these Elvis films being generally poor in both sound and image. Ged said "actually, this particular one is the best one i have seen". Well, this was one man i know i could trust 100% with his descriptions and when i received it i was well happy. Just a few marks to the mid right on part one and almost mark free on parts 2 & 3.
Sound is excellent given that this,(i believe), was not an official release, image is very good and even today colour is very very good with no fade, With Elvis's jet black leather suit and hair this is one film where the early signs would show but the blacks are black, the whites are white and all the blues yellows and greens are all there. Unfortunately these images really don’t show you what you see on screen. This movie came to us on 3 x 400 spools and after the first check and clean up we quickly mounted it onto a single 1200 foot spools with a running time of around 50/55 minutes.
This is a very well edited version of this classic TV special show, we have the first intro song, (Trouble/Guitar man), with front title and all the end credits in full, this version covers the very best of the live segments which includes,
Trouble"/"Guitar Man – Show Opener followed by,
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Baby What You Want Me to Do
Something wrong with my lip. / He's gotta be crazy.
Heartbreak Hotel / Hound Dog / All Shook Up
Can't Help Falling in Love"
Jailhouse Rock
Can I borrow your little whatchacallit? / This leather suit is hot
Love Me Tender
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Rock & roll music is ..
The Gospel production numbers in full,
then a sit down jamming sessions which on this super 8 version contains Elvis doing a Christmas song.
(Extra info, two versions of the special was initially aired by NBC. The first included Presley singing "Blue Christmas" – the only seasonal song Binder agreed to use. When the special was rebroadcast the following summer, this was replaced with a performance of "Tiger Man").
All this is followed by,
Baby, What You Want Me to Do
Blue Christmas
One Night
Memories, (one of the best live version I have seen him do),
Guitar Man Production Number:
Nothingville" / "Guitar Man" / "Let Yourself Go" / "Guitar Man" / "Big Boss Man" / "It Hurts Me" / "Guitar Man" / "Little Egypt" / "Trouble" / "Guitar Man"
If I Can Dream - show closer and a great performance it is too, this is one song that Elvis Presley originally did not want to do as he always said he would not be interested in any religious or political songs but he closes with this number and with the volume up high it really is one of his best.
All in all, this is one film i took a chance on and am very pleased i did. It has stood the test of time so i assume it must be on pretty good stock.
A perfect home viewing for the 41st anniversary of his Death today.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Tom,I have this too along with the Red Fox blooper reel, when you hear the background of this show it's incredible to realise how much Elvis's popularity had deminished, at the time of making the show a young lady approached Steve Binder and Elvis on the set and asked if anyone famous was here,they said she had no idea that she'd just spoken to Elvis Presley,different story after the show aired,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2018 06:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, i did read that, unreal when you think how huge he was before.
As you say, this was show that certainly relaunched him.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a low fade print of the title? What is the film stock? I ask as there WERE somwe L.P.P. prints, I've seen them.

A little neat trivia ...

There was a VERY RARE "outtakes" reel, 400ft, of Elvis messing up a lot from this special, but there were, I believe, two full musicals numbers as well, on with the Jordinaries.

I know this as i sold it for as friend a year or two ago, and it was an L.P.P. print with very good color.

Thanks for the review! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC