8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Getting Straight 400ft Colour Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Straight 400ft Colour Sound
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 26, 2018 09:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a film i saw once on the TV years ago, i have never seen the feature film since. However, i bought this 400ft version from Movieland here in Plymouth years and years ago, i dread to think when,certainly around 35+ years as it was one of my first super 8 purchases. There's certainly nothing special about this film but i took a fancy to it all the same. This title shows itself on many lists as you know and is now often nothing short of red or scratched, or both.I last projected this in October 2013, nearly 5 years ago so i didn't expect it to be much good but once again, i had a very nice surprise. This is still a good colour print with only light fade, like most of the American Columbia and 20th century fox 400 footers the quality is very good with nice clear image and excellent sound. This movie must have been a difficult one to edit in order to make sense so the narrator helps us along. Although he often makes his voice appearance it wouldn't make too much sense without it so on on this occasion it isn't too bad.
However, this will be my last viewing as it is on the move now, so i am putting this review on here as it doesn't really get a mention. We have had lots of enjoyment out it over the last 35+ years and hopefully it may find another good home to continue doing so in the years to come.

Getting Straight is a 1970 American comedy-drama motion picture directed by Richard Rush, released by Columbia Pictures.
The story is based around student politics at a university in the early 1970s, seen through the eyes of non-conformist graduate student Harry Bailey (Elliott Gould). Also featured in the cast were Candice Bergen as Bailey's girlfriend, Jeff Corey as Bailey's professor and Harrison Ford, (in a very early role), as his anti social friend.
Getting Straight was released in an era of change and unrest in the United States in the early 1970s, and was in a long line of films that dealt with these themes. Other films of this period with similar themes were Medium Cool (1969), R. P. M. (1970), and The Strawberry Statement (1970).

Harry Bailey, a former student activist and post-graduate, comes back to university to complete an education course to become a teacher. He tries to avoid the increasing student unrest that has surfaced, but finds this difficult as his girlfriend, Jan, is a leader in these protests.
Over time, student demonstrations bring police to the campus to quell the unrest, and the ensuing clashes lead to martial law. Harry is forced to question his values in relation to this. At the height of the rioting he concurs with Jan that "getting straight" is more important than unprotesting acceptance of the educational establishment.
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

[ August 26, 2018, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 26, 2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Thanks for the review. I'll have to watch this one again.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 26, 2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do actually like this movie, would like to get the feature on 16 but i dont think I've ever seen it advertised. The riot sequence is actually quite viscous with the cops battering the students. Certainly takes the comedy aspect out for a minute [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 29, 2018 12:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an update on this movie, i did list it on fleabay and was going to buy it on disc. Unfortunatly, (unless im wrong), i cannot find it on DVD unless i pay like £50 plus. Not for a DVD i wont, so until i can find it on another format at a good price i will be keeping it a bit longer so had to take it down.

[ September 01, 2018, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC